Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Ditching the henna beast

Guest Andrew

I came to the decision today to scrap the henna body. I found another huge peice of rust under the floor and I just can't justify spending so much money on repairing a flawed car.

So - I've gone and looked at some new rolling bodys. I found a white 318 pre F/L 2 door (a must) and I'm going to put all of my running gear (as in bloody everything) into it. And for only a couple of hundred bucks for the 318 it will work out a better deal.

I'm going to do a semi - Jordan pretty much. With a complete donor car I can't really think of any parts I won't have - but I'm more curious in what bolts/parts are single use only so I can cost up the project and have all the parts I need on hand.

Also (if anyone knows) - how will the re-vin/cert process work? I don't imagine any different to what had to happen to my car.

What am I looking at (money wise) to get just the shell + bodykit painted? Anyone want to bring a compressor round and paint it for a couple of dozen beers hah :D (It will of course be orange again)

And of course if anyone is up for some weekend e30 project the beers will be flowing freely for valuble help.

Thoughts and ideas please.

I'm going to budget $3000 all up to do it.

just transfer the VIN plates over and change colour on the rego papers

simple :thumb:

dude <_<

tim = super dodgy.

How much stuff did you have certed on your henna shell? Wouldn't it be just as easier to get it recerted instead of mucking round with VINs and rego etc, or am i overlooking something?

Unless you know someone paint alone is really expensive. Then you need a decent gun and a grunty enough compressor that will keep up. I wouldn't even think about using a super cheap, repco one etc. Have you done any spraying before?

Couple of random questions, where abouts is the rust on your 323?

and, is there any difference between 4 cyl shells and 6 cyl shells?

I might be able to get some mates(for paint + labour) rates from a mate of my brothers in hamilton.

Will give my brother a call. (will get him to post on my account whether or not its possible, as I'm jumping on a plane 2moro for 21days without PC :))

Edited by E30stz

Andrew, It must be some pretty serious rust to even contemplate re-shelling!!! Pics??

Or are you being super-anal about it!?!?!

homy or some-one up your way would be able to do a mint repair job, esp. if it isn't in a visible place (ie. not the middle of a door panel!!).

Just bear in mind if you fork out $$$ to re-shell it then back out of you drive and get T-boned by your grandma, or at your first track day, you're are going to be super pissed!!!

Guest Andrew

Andrew, It must be some pretty serious rust to even contemplate re-shelling!!! Pics??

Or are you being super-anal about it!?!?!

homy or some-one up your way would be able to do a mint repair job, esp. if it isn't in a visible place (ie. not the middle of a door panel!!).

Just bear in mind if you fork out $$$ to re-shell it then back out of you drive and get T-boned by your grandma, or at your first track day, you're are going to be super pissed!!!

There is a big assed hole under the floor - which pisses me off. The taillights have nothing holding them in. The rear shock towers are rusty (not just surface sh*t) .. the front shock towers are rusty. The battery is held in by rust. The wheel arch has a hole in it. Behind the rear bumper is all rust. I can't get WOFs anymore - so it will probably work out cheaper to build a new car. I can also do the funky stuff like roll cage while i'm in there and any other worthwhile mods.

The shell i'm getting has only cosmetic rust (and one corner of taillight is half repaired). And the plan is to paint anyway.

I will get a quote from Dan and see how that works out.

the shell u got, does it like have rego or rego on hold?

if it doesnt u pretty much have to register a new car for nz roads, and i dont think u can register E30s any more with all the new frontal impact laws etc

cuz the chassis numbers are different, so like insurance and wof places will treat the new shell being dodgy

get a car thats registered with a f**ked engine or whatever for like $1000 and transfer all the running gear into it and get it certed. I think thats your only option i am afraid.

Paint? well depends how good u want the end job to look, el cheapo paint mite be a few hundy, decent paint job u looking at a few grand.

Not sure how much the whole transplant of engine and etc will cost u as well.

To sum it up, get a car with rego and do the swap, then save up for paint and kit etc.

Edited by BMA

wow i never knew your 320 was that rusty .. sounds a bit like mine but somehow yours sounds worsemaybe cos i hav it bad in one concerntrated area

i am just suprised no one noticed this when the whole interior/engine was ripped out during the rebuilt/mod stage

cuz i dont think one huge hole in the floor appears overnite.......