Sign in to follow this  
Aaron320iSmith

My 85' 320i needs mods

well ive just bought a 1985 320i for a grand (off my mum :D ). Its as stock as a rock and i need some info on modifing it. I'm planing a k&n with a heat shield, e34 m3 injectors, muffler from ebay and also a chip from ebay. Im not shore on what places in New Zealand make aftermarket extractors?????? I also will install a e30 m3 4.10:1 diff. I am looking for 250hp+ at the wheels. I know with this list i will be no wear near this so any tips/info would be grate. PS i dont want forced induction.

Talk to Graeme Clyde.

Sounds like a lot of effort. Transplant a 2.7l block with the high compression bits and you'll have 200hp.

250 HP at the wheels from a 2 litre without forced induction, :lol: please stop my sides are hurting.Dump the M20 for a 3.5L M30, you still won't have even have 250 HP at the flywheel, but it will be frighteningly fast. Also E36 M3 injectors don't work well in the open loop injection system your engine runs, they will just send your mixture rich and you will lose power.

Guest Spargo

250 is acheiveable from a 2.0L...

...with nos...

...once. :lol:

Do some reading up on the limits of an M20 block, then come ask us some questions.

Guest Andrew

ahh i remember we were all like yourself a few years ago when we got e30s.

In reality - you might be able to crack 100 WHEEL horse power with a timing advance, K&N filter.

The 2 ltr motor isn't worth doing anything to.

Bear in mind.. Glenn's twin turbo e30 is "only" 280ish wheel horse power and that has a good engine in it! (i.e not an m20 heh)

Guest Andrew

Talk to Graeme Clyde.

Sounds like a lot of effort. Transplant a 2.7l block with the high compression bits and you'll have 200hp.

and that will cost upwards of 5 grand.

Not sure how true this is but some basic maths...

Lets say a modern formula 1 engine makes 15hp per litre per 1000rpm

If you want 250 rwhp you will need around 330 at the flywheel (with a 25% power loss).

So 330hp from a 2L is 165 Hp per Litre, which going by F1 standards means you will have to rev to over 11'000 rpm.

What I'm saying is to get 250+ rwhp from a 2Litre NA you will need to be revving to around 11'000 and have the same efficiency as a F1 engine.

Dunno how true all that is but i saw it somewhere and changed the numbers to suit.

Ok i screwed up a bit on that one didnt i! So.... we all have to learn somehow. So im keen on the 2.7l block conversion. But i need to know how much $$$ this will wack me for. Or is it not worth it? Maybe i should just get bolt on's and get some mild porting done. So my car makes 95kw, Im taking that is at the flywheel. I do get hacked off with people in 88' 323 gts etc with the usual exhaust tip bla bla bla draging me off at the lights, with there 1600 DOHC 16-valve engines FWD. I want enough power so that they think twice about trying to drag off a real car in there JAP ricer cars. I understand that i wont be able to kain them but i dont really want to break the speed limit in the middle of town. So what are your guys thoughts on transfering a e34 DOHC 24-valve head over to my m20? Its just a thought as the SOHC 12-valve isnt the pest performance wise

You can't just fit the M50/M52 head onto an M20 block.Swaping the whole engine has been done though.M30 swap is easier and cheaper and will give you between 211-218HP at the flywheel depending on the year.

Guest Spargo

You can swap the M50 head on, just know that none of the water journals will line up.

Go for M50 power or Turbo M20.

Both will cost close to 5K fully done.

... I do get hacked off with people in 88' 323 gts etc with the usual exhaust tip bla bla bla draging me off at the lights, with there 1600 DOHC 16-valve engines FWD. I want enough power so that they think twice about trying to drag off a real car in there JAP ricer cars. I understand that i wont be able to kain them but i dont really want to break the speed limit in the middle of town ....

Hmmn, I wonder why Japanese cars give the most "bang for the buck"! Enjoy driving your BMW for what it is - not because you want to "kain" [sic] people at the lights. If that is what you are after, save your money and pile it into something light, quick and Japanese. Or, a Caterham 7!

I own (arguably) one of the fastest production E30s made and I still get taken at the lights by a number of Japanese cars (WRXs are the bane of my life). It is something I sleep easy with though - why - because I own a piece of history, not a piece of recycled tuna can.

Again, enjoy your BMW for what it is. Don't go piling money into it that you will never recoup as it will make upgrading in the future all the more harder. Remember .... when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

for what it is worth unless I am pretty serious my m30 is no rocketship either,top end might be something else tho>>>>>

for what it is worth unless I am pretty serious my m30 is no rocketship either,top end might be something else tho>>>>>

Tall gearing and the extra weight an E34 is carrying might be something to do with that, not such a problem with an 1100Kg E30 and a 3.64:1 diff.

Guest WAGON

just thinking about it the e30 m3 is 4cyld so would it bolt up to a 318s engine bay?

that could be my next project

but where to find an m3 engine?

bahahahahahaha u will never find one ... well not in NZ any way

although i did see one for sale bout 3 years back for $900

Guest Andrew

just thinking about it the e30 m3 is 4cyld so would it bolt up to a 318s engine bay?

that could be my next project

but where to find an m3 engine?

Just forget it.

Guest WAGON

hmmmm thats an idea

just thinking about what i could do with the engine in my car

i want bigger and faster the a 2.0