Sign in to follow this  
richard

how many hours to rebuild a standard m20 motor

Hi , i have a question about the lenght of time to strip down and re assemble a m20 motor .

Not looking for a price for parts or machining just how long it should take .

thanks

Don't know 'bout others but i used to do all my race motors in 2 days (16 hours). Thats strip-clean-inspect-reassemble. When ya strip it be sure to lay out everything clearly and cleanly and it's easy.

Bavarian rebuilt mine in two days and it needed machining. And it hasn't missed a beat since I started racing.

Bavarian rebuilt mine in two days and it needed machining. And it hasn't missed a beat since I started racing.

hey was just wondering what sorta price it was to get a motor redbuild by them if you dont mind me asking? cheers

All depends on what needs doing. I had my gearbox rebuilt at the same time and also had machine work done. Best to call them.

too date i've spent $9600 and thats for the block and head all parts , machining and labour . the only thing i did'nt replace is the crankshaft.....still to come dizzy cap , leads , hoses etc...... it's not cheap!!!

too date i've spent $9600 and thats for the block and head all parts , machining and labour . the only thing i did'nt replace is the crankshaft.....still to come dizzy cap , leads , hoses etc...... it's not cheap!!!

.....ever had that sinking feeling that you might be getting robbed?

Guest FrantiC

I think it would all depend where you take it, how busy they are etc.

My head rebuild took 2 days.

If I did my block they told me it would be one week turn over for bearings, rings incl. machine work etc.

Holy sh*t!!! Nearly 10 grand on an engine that could be bought 2nd hand for 200 bucks lol

Holy sh*t!!! Nearly 10 grand on an engine that could be bought 2nd hand for 200 bucks lol

And what would you get for your $200... just another M20 that probably needed a rebuild. $10k is alot of money, however you need to look at the build sheet costs of what was actually done. Its easy to spend $10k .. hard to earn as well... depends on what you are doing and how well you want it done.

Edited by *Glenn*

$9600 for an M20.

Your being robbed.

My rebuilt SR20DET from my 180sx which had forged pistons, rods, rebuilt head, sleeved cylinders, and many many many much more expensive aftermarket parts, cost $3K less than that. With a Turbo upgrade this motor was capable of 300rwkw. So much care and time was taken to assemble it.

A race prepped M20 for the E30 series would be half that with everything replaced and machine work.

$9600 for an M20.

Your being robbed.

My rebuilt SR20DET from my 180sx which had forged pistons, rods, rebuilt head, sleeved cylinders, and many many many much more expensive aftermarket parts, cost $3K less than that. With a Turbo upgrade this motor was capable of 300rwkw. So much care and time was taken to assemble it.

A race prepped M20 for the E30 series would be half that with everything replaced and machine work.

good point , but were not aloud to use forged pistons and after market parts .

pistons $1450

cam$700

new inlet and exhaust valves

you name it , it was replaced