Sign in to follow this  
clintonr

Replacing the battery

Went to try to start the car last night to discover that the battery is dead. Bugger. I've put it on the charger but if that doesn't work I think I may need a new one. I presume that I need to get a specific battery and a supercheap auto battery won't cut the mustard? Here's what I have currently (sorry bout the shitty mobile phone photo)....

[e] Ive removed your photo because of its size, feel free to resize it and repost it.

Edited by Penry

You need a Din 65... I have them here 3yr warranty

BTW..thats a calcium battery and an ordinary charger wont charge it properly. Might charge it a little to get you going though

You need a Din 65... I have them here 3yr warranty

BTW..thats a calcium battery and an ordinary charger wont charge it properly. Might charge it a little to get you going though

So I either need a calcium charger or a new battery? How much are the batteries?

I can do a calcium Din 65 for $250 Incl Gst with 3yr warranty

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn how different is the Din55ml?

i've got one doing nothing under the house from my old car, would it work in this case?

Glenn how different is the Din55ml?

i've got one doing nothing under the house from my old car, would it work in this case?

A bit small...might not be able to clamp it down. Battery must be secure for WOF. Some of the coupes dont have provision to install the smaller size batteries

Hmmmmmm...... I don't know whether to get a new battery or get a calcium charger. Never had any problems with the battery prior to yesterday. This f@rking car is turning into a money pit.

A good calcium battery charger will cost you more that 3 new batteries. Mine from memory cost about $900.. charges 3 batteries at a time though. If the alternator in your car cant keep the battery charged, its nackered or you have another problem that needs to be checked. You also run the risk of damaging control units.

Repco sells dins... so should Supercheap. The repco (re-baged century) ones are 250 maybe ten or so bucks less and come with a 3 yr warranty too. You could get them to test the old bettery, see the health of it to see whether its stuffed. But a decent charger is over 200.

A good calcium battery charger will cost you more that 3 new batteries. Mine from memory cost about $900.. charges 3 batteries at a time though. If the alternator in your car cant keep the battery charged, its nackered or you have another problem that needs to be checked. You also run the risk of damaging control units.

Oh wonderful. I think I'll just leave it in the shed. Thank god I've got a company car that never breaks down Lol

You could get them to test the old bettery, see the health of it to see whether its stuffed. But a decent charger is over 200.

Sorry.. your wrong. You need to charge it first which takes sometimes 48 - 72hrs with the proper charger for a calcium battery. They also cant do a battery discharge check. Sometimes those stores cant even calculate the right change to give you.. try them

Sorry.. your wrong. You need to charge it first which takes sometimes 48 - 72hrs with the proper charger for a calcium battery. They also cant do a battery discharge check. Sometimes those stores cant even calculate the right change to give you.. try them

I somehow knew it wouldn't be that easy.

Give Ray @ HELLBM a call.

He may have a decent one around.

I had my battery serviced along with other things today, I read on here that when the summer comes they can dry out easier, knowing the cost of replacement etc.

Why can't you put in any ordinary batteries in them does it matter, my car is per my username.

Why can't you put in any ordinary batteries in them does it matter, my car is per my username.

A BMW E39 is not "an ordinary car"

A BMW is not a "SuperCheap Auto"

Let those two statements influence you on what you do....

I never would they have a pretty full on positive terminal connection don't they, just wondered why they require a special battery thats all.

I never would they have a pretty full on positive terminal connection don't they, just wondered why they require a special battery thats all.

Modern cars big electrical demands & consequently big output alternators put huge loads on batteries.

Calcium batteries are more able to cope with the higher charging voltages & generally higher under bonnet temperatures (admittedly not yours - being in the rear) of a modern car.

An old school standard battery won't cut the mustard in these cars.

i just went to a local auto electrician/battery/hella place,and they had the correct sized battery.Admitidley not a calcium and admitedly the e34 may not be too tough on batteries....was a hell of a lot cheaper than 250 too!Make sure you ge the proper vent/drain kit(ie the e34 535 has the battery under the rear seat)

Well it looks like there's no way around it so I'll need to get a new battery. Having only just spent a shitload of money on the car though it can wait a few weeks now.

hijack

My e30 needs a new battery... some place wants 280 for a DIN55. which is 11 Plate apparently. I wanted another 13plate like the one I have.

anything else that will fit? - preferably not $280

/hijack.

OT - all cars are endless money pits :(

hijack

My e30 needs a new battery... some place wants 280 for a DIN55. which is 11 Plate apparently. I wanted another 13plate like the one I have.

anything else that will fit? - preferably not $280

/hijack.

OT - all cars are endless money pits :(

A Century Din 55 should be around the $150 +Gst mark.. try a few sparkies

A Century Din 55 should be around the $150 +Gst mark.. try a few sparkies

Agree - $280 for a DIN 55 is a rip off. A DIN 88 (to suit E39 etc) can be got for around that price