Sign in to follow this  
AN E30 Fan

Student Exchange?

Hi all,

I'm interested in doing a student exchange to their Europe or North/South America,

Just really interested to see whos done it or have had friends do it?

What their expericences are?

And who they did it through?

I'm looking at doing it through a rotary at the moment but not sure.

Anyway good or bad experiences I don't really care, just want to find out what its like.

Cheers,

AJ

When i was in 7th form we had a ( rather hot ) rotary exchange student stay with us from Austria for 4 months. Good times.

With Rotary you generally stay with 3 different families ( 4 months each ) over the year. With AFS you stay with one family the entire 12 months.

Rotary exchanges are good, but I think you have to go to the Rotary meetings every week which might be rather boring ( but I dont know for sure. ) AFS is better in the sence that when you are overseas you will get to know a lot of other exchange students from around the place, which doesn't happen with Rotary if you end up going to a smaller town where they only get one exchange student each year.

I signed up for an AFS exchange in 6th form to go to Norway for a year, which i got accepted for, but it meant I would miss out on 7th form. I decided not to go for a number of reasons, and I am rather happy I didn't in a way because it means I got school over and done with... I could pretty much guarantee the 12 months away in Norway would of been totally wasted academically speaking because I would of been doing everything other than school work.

Always enjoyed travelling though, in two weeks time I'm off overseas to the Ukraine for 3 and a half months to teach in schools over there ( English and other stuff ) through AIESEC at Waikato Uni. I think it's a lot better because it means I miss out on no university..

Edited by Mark247

My sister done one when she was in Unitec doing her design degree and went to Switzerland for one semester.

That was about 4 or 5 years ago and she loved it. Met some locals there and other exchange students and still kept contact to date. She reckon if you can afford it, definitely do it.

Thanks Mark, yeh I heard about rotary and how you have to go to rotary meetings :(. But yeh I'm quite keen to do the AFS one to Italy, I just don't know if 7th form is the place for me, just really looking at all the options.

Thanks my e36, yeh I've very keen to do it, will update you guys if i get accepted.

any more opinions...??

Thanks Mark, yeh I heard about rotary and how you have to go to rotary meetings :(. But yeh I'm quite keen to do the AFS one to Italy, I just don't know if 7th form is the place for me, just really looking at all the options.

Thanks my e36, yeh I've very keen to do it, will update you guys if i get accepted.

any more opinions...??

I know a chick who did an AFS exchange to Italy. She loved it. Just remember that a year is a long time, and if you want to go to Uni you will either have to do 7th form when you get back or work your ass off in 6th form.

Other than that... just do it.

Guest Simon*

I did AFS to Argentina my 7th form year. Just made sure I did well enough in 6th form to see me into university - let's face it though, they're a business and they'll basically take anyone who can afford it.

Can absolutely recommend an exchange. Wasn't cheap, but well worth it. I had the hugest time, learnt a new language, met awesome people, saw cool things and managed to do heaps of travelling.

I stayed with one family the whole year. Thankfully they were loaded and cruisy :)

I stayed with one family the whole year. Thankfully they were loaded and cruisy :)

I've simular stories like this, my cousin had a simular thing happen in Chile. It seems if you go to a less developed country where there is a big divide between the rich and the poor you usually end up living with a pretty rich family because the poorer families simply cant afford having an exchange student living with them.

Yeh, I'm in 6th form now, and I have no idea what I want to do so I thought that this was an option.

anyway thanks guys, will looks into it got a few things from the careers lady today so got a bit to read,

yeh I'm pretty keen on Italy or Canada. Or Argentia...now :ph34r:

I did one to Cape Town, South Africa when I was 14. Was amazing.

Just left Uni to save to travel South America.

I'll edit this in the morning with more on South Africa and exchange.

Rotary is out, they are full.

Trying to ge tin contact with AFS but might have to wait till monday, it turns out a year overseas with AFS is cheaper than a year at my school alone.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Edited by AJ-E30

I did this when I was a bit younger, thought I'd be a gutsy 11 year old and transfer to Heroshima Private Prep.. Was crazy

Quick update:

Got the call back from STS I have been accepted for their program,

Now I've got to pick the countries either Canada (not fully confirmed yet), Spain, Sweden, Argentina or Brazil?

Any ideas? Anyone been to these countries?

On the plus side of going to Spain it is close to France where my sister could be doing an Au Pair thing next year aswell

Edited by AJ-E30

Quick update:

Now I've got to pick the countries either Canada (not fully confirmed yet), Spain, Sweden, Argentina or Brazil?

On the plus side of going to Spain it is close to France where my sister could be doing an Au Pair thing next year aswell

Out of the 4 countries you have listed... I'd go for Sweden... for many reasons.. I wont say why at the moment... I'll keep a look out on this thread... THINK ABOUT IT KIWI BOY :P

Out of the 4 countries you have listed... I'd go for Sweden... for many reasons.. I wont say why at the moment... I'll keep a look out on this thread... THINK ABOUT IT KIWI BOY :P

They have fast BMW's....

Quick update:

Not really much of a decision to it!

Posted Image

If you're going during European summer, and can go to say Barcelona... I'd say go there. Lots and lots of hot topless girls at the beach:)

^^^ hahaha funny you mentioned that actually.

Just got accepted today! I ended up choosing Spain and I will be based in Barcelona!

13th of January I leave, and sh*t I can't wait!

Little bit nervous though 1 year with no family :ph34r:

Nice! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun there. Barcelona rocks.