Sign in to follow this  
paulieboi

painting.....what are my options?

when i brought it the previous owner had done a paint up job on both the sides (missed a spot or two but resonably well covered, apperently he was a ex car painter by trade)

anyway he hadnt got round to painting the roof and the boot, and both of these are very average condition, on the boot is hard to explain it looks like its been cut but not polished but thats its general appearance.

the roof has to lil patches where hes probly fixed something up but you can see where he stopped spraying up the front and back arms onto the roof.

i just want to know is there anything i can do to bring these back upto even so the roof and boot look mint to (and patch up a couple spots on the side)

or is it a job best left to pro's just to get the roof and boot done?

(im not sure of the exact name of the colour but its a grey)

cheers

Get it done properly mate, just send it down to me for a week, i will beat any quote. ;)

ohk alg i may have to sus that out mate, just wondering, i was looking at shaving the sides where the side pods where to give it the flat look, do you do that to or would it be a personal auto bog job, or take it to a person who knows how to reweld or mould or whatever? im clueless on it

yea the black side panels, (id heard them called side pods somewhere and i didnt know the actual name)

but turning the first picture to somewhat like the 2nd (without the widebody kit)

post-4477-1256855058.jpg

post-4477-1256855075.jpg

the pods are only for tech2 kits as they go from the black strip down to the bottom of the door as a whole panel(pod) whatever you want to call it.

The black strips is just a trim.

That 2nd pic isnt a custom car, its an e30 m3, they come from factory like that.

Edited by _BRS_

oh fair enough, cheers for clearing them up i wasnt to sure with the kit cause it was from a custom pic, but yea taking the trim off my standard 88 318i, then theres that little gap that would need to be filled (as i dont want the black trims on there) what would be the best way to get rid of that,

autobog it flat then sand and paint, or take it in and get it welded (or whatever they would have to do) do give it that flat panel look?

(thanks for the clear up in my explaination lol)

Too much to bog bro. Best to get some sheet metal welded in. Bog will just slowly break away on such a huge area like that. I am going to be smoothing my side trims off also, will be getting mine welded.

The holes yeah.. But the whole indent part will need to be covered. So make it look smooth you need to do more than the holes. Depends what the owner wants to do though

You'll have to get a pro to use fibre glass to fill the gap where the trim used to be, i was looking at doing this, but i just got a tech2 kit intstead :D

Like shady said bog will crack and fall out eventually with the doors constantly being slammed closed etc

Mint Idea! I will hunt for a kit when I paint it. like BRS sig, hes got the kit on the sides right? I want those. They just clip into the original trim holes do they? Got any photos Blair? That kit looks sh-t hot & I'd be keen to hunt for one if they are easy to fit (without modifying)! :D

Guest FrantiC

Mint Idea! I will hunt for a kit when I paint it. like BRS sig, hes got the kit on the sides right? I want those. They just clip into the original trim holes do they? Got any photos Blair? That kit looks sh-t hot & I'd be keen to hunt for one if they are easy to fit (without modifying)! :D

GL finding m-tech2 sides.

4 door m-tech2 kit is rare as heck, more the fact people who have it aren't willing to sell :lol:

m-tech2 FTW!

yea i thought that may have been the case with bogin it but ohwell ill take some time and either try find the kit or see if anyones keen ta do the welding for cheap enough

Shouldnt cost too much? Just ring up some engineering shops & ask them - maybe try haggle a deal for all 4 doors. Tell them you will prep it first so they just gotta weld them. By prep that is sanding it etc. And maybe remove the doors (be easier for them if door is off the car, I would beleive)? But yeah, I reckon it would look better with the kit, which I am still deciding! Smooth it completely or a kit...decisions! :lol:

Guest FrantiC

4 door M-tech 2 kit will cost you like $1600 + (that was the price Ray told me he sells them for at the start of the yaer) if you manage to even find one (Thats second hand). New your looking around $3000ish, possibly more I think.

Wow. Thats double the cost of the kit I imported from the US for my Probe. :huh:

Any panel beater will be able to give you a quote for welding the trim line or fibre glassing. Look around.

I rang round sh**loads of places for my tech II kit, finally found a guy who worked at a random Euro parts store who stripped cars and got 1 off him, be patient...

Got my kit cheap as chips because it was cracked and needed plastic welding too... :D