Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

Viscous Fan Removal

Tried to get the viscous fan off with a 32mm and hammer but that wasn't enough to break the hold.

Any suggestions on other ways I can get it off without the proper tool, or better yet does anyone have the proper tools (water pump pulley holder and thin 32mm) that I can borrow?

Cheers.

Guest FrantiC

32mm bike headset wrench works mint, they are like 2mm thick so fit in easy as.

Jam a screw driver across 2 of the bolts of the waterpump pulley against the center to hold it.

32mm bike headset wrench works mint, they are like 2mm thick so fit in easy as.

Jam a screw driver across 2 of the bolts of the waterpump pulley against the center to hold it.

Used to have a bike wrench - thin enough but don't have a screwdriver thin enough to jam across 2 of the bolts without the pulley getting in the way?

what engine is it? on the m20's you can usually get away with using the ring end of a spanner on one of the water pump/pulley bolts to hold the pump and a normal 32mm spanne. not ideal just be careful when you do it (wear some leather gloves when you do it to save some stitches if you slip).

what engine is it? on the m20's you can usually get away with using the ring end of a spanner on one of the water pump/pulley bolts to hold the pump and a normal 32mm spanne. not ideal just be careful when you do it (wear some leather gloves when you do it to save some stitches if you slip).

Thanks Lance, it's an M52. I'll try that - just hope I can get enough leverage to keep the small spanner from moving.

Thanks Lance, it's an M52. I'll try that - just hope I can get enough leverage to keep the small spanner from moving.

I tend to use a larger spanner say 15mm?? and sometimes a pipe on it to give extra leverage..

silly question but are you sure your un doing it? lol i did it on my M20, went the wrong way,knew it was a backwards thread, just didnt think at all! started doing it right and it came undone easy

Come over on Monday Yuen and I'll loosen it for you.. Remember its L/H thread

Yup knew it was left hand thread... was just too tight.

Andrew very kindly lent me a pulley holder today - using that, it came off within seconds.

Thanks for the offer Glenn, and everyone else for your help.