Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Aftermarket amp install in to e39 non-dsp stereo questions

Hi,

This may be one for Jochen, or someone who has done this before, I need a bit of clarification..

I have the 10 speaker (4 woofers, 4 mids, and 2 tweeter) non-dsp stereo system in my e39. There is an amp behind the cd changer in the boot that has both the 12 and 26 pin connectors. Im wanting to install an aftermarket 2 channel amp, running in bridged mode to run a subwoofer. Do I need a line output converter in order for the aftermarket amplifier RCA input to accept audio signal from the factory amplifier, or can I just hack up one end of a single RCA cable and tap in to the audio signal outputs for one of the woofers from the factory amp, and plug the unhacked RCA end in to the aftermarket amp?

Thanking for help in advance :-)

some amps have speaker level input as well as rca inputs .

you will need this type or a speaker level to rca adaptor box.

conect to the input side of your other amp not the output side (level will be a bit high and may distort)

Hi,

This may be one for Jochen, or someone who has done this before, I need a bit of clarification..

I have the 10 speaker (4 woofers, 4 mids, and 2 tweeter) non-dsp stereo system in my e39. There is an amp behind the cd changer in the boot that has both the 12 and 26 pin connectors. Im wanting to install an aftermarket 2 channel amp, running in bridged mode to run a subwoofer. Do I need a line output converter in order for the aftermarket amplifier RCA input to accept audio signal from the factory amplifier, or can I just hack up one end of a single RCA cable and tap in to the audio signal outputs for one of the woofers from the factory amp, and plug the unhacked RCA end in to the aftermarket amp?

Thanking for help in advance :-)

Looking at the existing amp, you have the following options:

1. Line level Inputs to factory amp.

You have full-range 4-channels to choose from (FR, FL, RR, RL)

Be aware that this is a twisted pair balanced line, but connecting RCA to it is normally fine. In some cases you can cause ground loops, so you may need to isolate the ground.

2. Speaker level outputs from factory amp

The factory amp is a 10-channel amp driving 10 speakers

You would likely connect to the rear woofer outputs.

Bear in mind that all speaker outputs are BTL, so d not connect any side of any speaker to ground.

I ended up tapping in to the audio signals via a line output converter. I am very pleased with the results.

Ultimatley i want to mount the amp under the rear parcel tray (in the boot) would securing the amp (its about 3 kgs) to the underside of the tray using some washers and self tapping screws casue a wof failure? i'm only drilling four small holes ?? <_<