Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

Redrilling rims

Where is a good place to redrill wheels in the Waikato/Bay of Plenty area? I realise that the yellow pages will help, but if someone has had previous experience with a shop then that'd be good to hear.

Or if these wheels aren't able to be redrilled, is there anything wrong with spacers that go from 4x100 to 4x114.3?

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know too much about offset and all that jazz, so will these ever fit??

Cheers!

Work rims

With that offset it wouldnt be wise to run spacers/hub adaptors because the wheels would stick out too much, the offset is perfect for re drilling though.

You will need spacers for sure.

25mm front and rear since they are 1" offset,

They're 1" and 1.5" so a 25mm spacer would give and offset of 0 and 12-13. Not really Ideal.

You'd want 15-20mm offset on the front and rear.

They're awesome wheels, hopefully they can be redrilled as there offset is fine as is.

PS, mine are still for sale. See the link in my sig.

I wouldn't trust the TM guy's offset #.

JiB, who has 20mm adapters from 4x100 - 4x114, has already spent time drooling over these. He already has a set of Volks and a set of SSRs, so couldn't bring himself to go another set he doesn't need. He tried to convince me for the 2002 (I am unwilling to run adapters with turbo tho').

Volks, roh's, ssr's, racing harts, etc. The reason i don't own them already is i have 26 wheels in my ownership and i don't have any space or cars left for more wheels. Especially wheels i don't need like CamB says.

If you intend on putting them on a e30 with big struts the fronts will need a spacer or they'll touch the strut @ 8" and 25p. And ideally i'd run a 30p or more at the rear for a 9" 'cos there's lots of backspace available. This is especially true with FL e30's.

As for drilling, 4x100 can't done to 4x114 if the hubsize is already too big to accomodate a 100mm pcd. And it should only ever be done to flatback wheels.

My 2c.

P.S. Frantic, you need to re-school yourself on offsets and withs.

So these aren't able to be drilled, but spacers/hub adapters front and rear will make them fit? I see there is a guy on trademe that can make you any size you want, but at $420 a pair plus shipping, it's a bit rich for me at the moment. Wheels plus spacers plus tyres will be sitting on the wrong side of $1500

What size spacer/hub adapter would you recommend?

JiB, I'm drooling over the SE37Ks you have for sale/swap at the moment

So these aren't able to be drilled, but spacers/hub adapters front and rear will make them fit? I see there is a guy on trademe that can make you any size you want, but at $420 a pair plus shipping, it's a bit rich for me at the moment. Wheels plus spacers plus tyres will be sitting on the wrong side of $1500

What size spacer/hub adapter would you recommend?

JiB, I'm drooling over the SE37Ks you have for sale/swap at the moment

They might be able to be redrilled, but current hub size, and backing type should be determined first.

It's also not cheap to re-drill tbh, I was quoted 115+gst per wheel for a 4 stud standard taper.

Remember that on top of spacer costs, you will have to get the car certified as well.

Ideal 4x100 - 4x114.3 spacers would be a 57.1 inner bore, 15-20mm thick, OD the same as the rotor bell. Then have a outer bore the same as a datsun or silvia (something common). Remember to be legal/certed the spacers need to be hubcentric on both sides!

The thing is, even if they are redrillable, you might need hubcentric rings, slip-on spacers, etc. So be wary of hidden costs :) They're definitely super sweet wheels, so might be worth the effort!

Lol, I'm not exactly sure I want to sell my SE37K's myself, but I really want some ce28n's (a wheel that's eluded me for years!)

Bloody hell. Expensive stuff.

I really really want them, there's a certain look I'm after

Do your SE37Ks need spacers? That is, if you still want those illusive CE28Ns ;).. Drool.

Yup, all my current wheels will need spacers (I need spacers anyway 'cos of my brakes). If you're after wheels in general - CamB is selling some 16x7.5 AC Schnitzers, they'd bolt right on ;)

Edit: Work wheels in original post definitely can't be redrilled. They're hollow back wheels.

Edited by JiB

Don't forget with 20mm spacers you need to make sure you have suitable low profile bolts or tiny studs and nuts. @ 20mm, its hard to do, so 25mm might be easier (you might get away with the standard bolts).

Ok guys, jus had another idea.

With the influx of 5x114.3 wheels for RWD Jappas, what is to stop me from getting a hub converter from 4x100 to 5x114.3? So if a rim is 38p, with a 20mm or 25mm hub spacer this might have a 17x8 or 17x9 rim sitting nice and flush? I'm prepared to pull the gaurds if need be.

If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it, so what's the go there?

I'm just toying with ideas at the moment.

Spacers are expensive - that's partly why not everyone does it.

I suspect 4x100 --> 5x114 would have hole overlap, which is a no-no.

Edited by CamB

Ok, my mate has bought these rims, and he said that if I don't want them, then he'll take them for his Corona.

We dummy fitted them, and the offset and width as it is is perfect, which is a shame as they're the wrong stud pattern.

Will 20mm hub adapters push these out too far? I'm prepared to pull the gaurds if it they can be made to fit with 20mm hub adapters. Are there hub adapters available that are 15mm?

No decent pics of how they sit relative to the gaurds, but the front gaurd pic sort of shows how it sits within it.

post-2110-1259127031.jpg

post-2110-1259127049.jpg

Will 20mm hub adapters push these out too far? I'm prepared to pull the gaurds if it they can be made to fit with 20mm hub adapters.

If you pulled your guards and stuff, they should. Worth a try anyway. Do it.

I suspect 4x100 --> 5x114 would have hole overlap, which is a no-no.

There is definately hole overlap. When I designed my rear wheel bearing hub puller to suit every model BMW I found the 4 stud/5 stud you get two holes overlaping. So we made the puller flange a little thicker just to be on the safe side