Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

Hiding the fusebox , Engine bay de-loom ?

Guest FrantiC

I actually think I have seen it done before, Looks pretty straight forward moving the fusebox in but where I would put the fusebox I am not really sure just yet? Any ideas, or someone whos done it, pictures of where they mounted the fusebox, above the glovebox or something ?

Just contemplating ideas at the mo, since I am throwing in new wiring I may aswell do something awesome as..

With de-looming I mainly want ideas for the engine harness. Though that is pretty well hidden as is except where you see it pop up to the battery and into the car through the firewall hole. Lighting wiring is easy, tucked behind the fender..

But yeah any ideas would be cool..

Guest FrantiC

Well why not?

I actually don't think it's too bad of an idea, Will make the engine bay look more tidier not having heaps of wiring everywhere. Just floating ideas around at the mo as I said..

Would also make my life a whole lot easier not having to feed a tonne of wiring through that small damn hole in the firewall too lol, it's not that much though but yeah. JUST WONDERING K.

Well why not?

True... I'm just wondering... why bother ??... your probably making unnecessary work for yourself... and when you have your next drama.. you'll have more trouble finding the problem because of what your now going to introduce.

Guest FrantiC

True... I'm just wondering... why bother ??... your probably making unnecessary work for yourself... and when you have your next drama.. you'll have more trouble finding the problem because of what your now going to introduce.

Well..... All I would need to feed through is headlight wiring, loom plug, power plug and a couple smaller plugs..

VS

Entire body of wiring.

Also makes it soooo much easier to move around the fusebox if need be, considering when it is in the car it doesn't want to move at all due to the wiring holding it down pretty much.

And IMO would look abit tidier not having the wirnig in the enginebay running up the side, or the fusebox in there.

But like I said, It's an idea. Looking for someone whos done it, ideas, pros cons maybe even, Just curious for now.

But like I said, It's an idea. Looking for someone whos done it, ideas, pros cons maybe even, Just curious for now.

Most wouldnt because you would be introducing an area for failure, and also make it harder to diagnose faults

Go for it if you must... when the bonnets closed ... who would actualy care where your fuse box is ???

I'd rather know that I have a licence in my glove box to be honest

Guest FrantiC

Kk.

Bad idea having the fusebox moved to the otherside of a firewall.

Point taken, Will ask somewhere else.

/thread.

Why ??

Because de-loomed and shaved engine bays look sweet. Thats why.

Frantic, Ive got a pic for you, just gotta find it.

Because de-loomed and shaved engine bays look sweet. Thats why.

/quote]..

I agree as well... In a mint... well done project car thats been meticulasly prepared as a show car

But not for a daily skid car

Guest Ari Gold

I'm in the midst of planning / attempting one. The tricky part is running all the wiring through on of the guards for the headlights / indicators etc. Getting rid of ABS is easy, as is hiding / deleting the washer bottle

Get hold of some M42 firewall covers to ride relays etc behind too.

I say DO IT. I love an engine bay & engine that is fully deloomed & all the ugly crap hidden etc. Just like my Inspires engine.

Wont be easy, but everything is possible.

I'm in the midst of planning / attempting one. The tricky part is running all the wiring through on of the guards for the headlights / indicators etc. Getting rid of ABS is easy, as is hiding / deleting the washer bottle

I've already looked at doing this as well with a previous project... you can actually make up wiring looms and bring them through the chassis rails from inside the cockpit to the front bumper if you know what your doing

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest FrantiC

I agree as well... In a mint... well done project car thats been meticulasly prepared as a show car

But not for a daily skid car

Ahh you're funny..

I'll ask you nicely keep your thoughts out of my threads aye..

That motor's gone, I am starting my e30 ground up again, i don't really need your poo talk every time I start a thread.

Yeah have already got rid of washer bottle, Shaved back the AFM and washerbottle brackets off, thinking I might smooth it down but not fully shave the engine bay, but just enough so it looks good.

True that, forgot about the m42 covers.

My car doesn't have ABS so that's all good. I'm wondering how to get the wiring through to the other side of the fender though lol <_<

I have started mine aswell. But I am keen to leave the fuse box where it is, but just hide the rest of the wiring. Getting rid of all that crappy fabric tape the wiring is covered with and replacing it with heatshrink, (braid would look nice, but its a bitch to clean). Washer bottle is going in the boot. All brackets etc have been cut off.

I have m42(same as 318m40) wire covers, but I reckon I can get the wiring loom down to much less when I go standalone ECU and be able to hide it easier and get rid of the covers.

Ahh you're funny..

I'll ask you nicely keep your thoughts out of my threads aye..

That motor's gone, I am starting my e30 ground up again, i don't really need your poo talk every time I start a thread.

Yeah have already got rid of washer bottle, Shaved back the AFM and washerbottle brackets off, thinking I might smooth it down but not fully shave the engine bay, but just enough so it looks good.

True that, forgot about the m42 covers.

My car doesn't have ABS so that's all good. I'm wondering how to get the wiring through to the other side of the fender though lol <_<

Glenn dropping the subtle hints all the time eh.

The wires go down the passenger side, then across the front to the driver side dont they? They should be easy enough to hide behind the valence / bumper.

I think

Do it with a backup plan so that can be reversed if sh*t hits the fan

Nobody wants a car with huge electrical problems

but yes it does look good when the engine bay is nice and clean

Guest FrantiC

I'm wondering if you could probably stuff the wiring through a hole where the blower motor sits, then even weld over that and make it flush with the body instead of having covers there.

That would be a mission and a half though..

Digging the shaved engine bay look of this e30 though :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest FrantiC

Glenn dropping the subtle hints all the time eh.

The wires go down the passenger side, then across the front to the driver side dont they? They should be easy enough to hide behind the valence / bumper.

Yeah but getting it to the other side of the fender so it isn't running tucked up against the side of the engine bay I mean.

As so:

Posted Image

The cleaner and smoother the better.

What have you got to lose, Like you say new engine so may as well have the engine bay looking real tidy etc.

Guest FrantiC

Reliability if you f**k it up

Yeah exactly..

I'm definitley hiding the headlight loom for sure.. fusebox is just an idea for now, really liking the look of shaven e30 engine bays though.

Really liking the look of shaven e30 engine bays though.

Fk yes. This is so ****.

Posted Image

I'm wondering if you could probably stuff the wiring through a hole where the blower motor sits, then even weld over that and make it flush with the body instead of having covers there.

Well... here is your first problem.. you cant weld over a wiring loom... I know you dont like critiscism or help and you often take the offensive even when people try and help. From this point on I'll leave you to it. I wont offer help and I wont offer constructive critiscism... and I wont drop subtle hints... because I realy now know youve got it all sussed... by christ you must.. your 19