Sign in to follow this  
desi

B/stone 001 vs 050

Hi there ---

I am looking at getting some tyres for my 330 and I am a bit split on either the 001 and the 050. I have read some good posts and reviews on this but I am unclear why exactly the 050 is better. Also, how do they rate against the oem contis.

cheers

Hi there ---

I am looking at getting some tyres for my 330 and I am a bit split on either the 001 and the 050. I have read some good posts and reviews on this but I am unclear why exactly the 050 is better. Also, how do they rate against the oem contis.

cheers

I haven't driven on the RE-001's but they seem to fit the "dress-up" market along with the MY-01.

we had the RE-050's on our old EVO factory fitted, and they were a good tyre, wore well & stuck well.

I had Conti-Sport Contact & Sport Contact II's on my BMW and loved them.

Wet traction was well above the Jap tyres & they were a lot quieter (quietest tyres I've driven on).

Dry traction was similar to the B'stones, but they didn't take to well to track abuse (but what road tyres do really!)

The BMW currently has RE-070r's which stick amazing, but are v.noisy & wear fast.

The wifes Altezza has Dunlop DZ-101 which are good all rounders and value for $$

I haven't driven on the RE-001's but they seem to fit the "dress-up" market along with the MY-01.

That statement is quite inaccurate. The My-01 is a sports touring tyre where as The RE-001 is a replacement for the Grid III. Kind of like comparing a 320 to a 328, the two are completely different. The MY-01 is not a high performance tyre by any means, in fact it is quite horrible to drive on - comparable with the Chinese brands I think. The RE-001 is completely different and a pleasure to drive on.

Both the RE-001 and 050 are very good tyres, personally I think the RE-001 is better than the 050. This is mainly to the fact that the RE-001 is a newer tyre and tread design. The RE-001 will probably handle a bit of track work as well.

As mentioned earlier Ron's (3pedals) review is very good although possibly a little biased :P

I would also take a look at the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Goodyear have just dropped their pricing on 90% of their tyres!

Edited by zenetti

I can report on track performance.

They wore on the edges a tiny bit and found the tyre to be quite soft. Nice to ride on and grip is very good. However nearing the end of a session the car started understeering a bit. Not sure if this was car setup/pressures or because the tyre started giving in.

Definitely recommend them though.

Ian.

That statement is quite inaccurate. The My-01 is a sports touring tyre where as The RE-001 is a replacement for the Grid III. Kind of like comparing a 320 to a 328, the two are completely different. The MY-01 is not a high performance tyre by any means, in fact it is quite horrible to drive on - comparable with the Chinese brands I think. The RE-001 is completely different and a pleasure to drive on.

Both the RE-001 and 050 are very good tyres, personally I think the RE-001 is better than the 050. This is mainly to the fact that the RE-001 is a newer tyre and tread design. The RE-001 will probably handle a bit of track work as well.

As mentioned earlier Ron's (3pedals) review is very good although possibly a little biased :P

I would also take a look at the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Goodyear have just dropped their pricing on 90% of their tyres!

I think it was quite an accurate comment then!

As a 320 "Seems" similar to a 328 (if not the same when you haven't driven them)!!!

I was under the impression the MY-01 was a replacement for the G-III (which was a good tyre)

and the RE-001 was a replacement for the RE-711 (which was a great tyre)

I'm certainly enjoying the 001's a lot more than the Direzza's I had on there before

The Direzza's had absolutely rubbish wet weather performance, the 001's I actually feel safe driving in the wet

^^Direzza's are the worst tyre i've had on any car ever.

My ST220 came with them and they were crap. Way overpriced to, would not buy them ever.

They wore unevenly, were loud and the grip was poor at the very best.

Thanks for that advice.

Most likely will go for the 050s. I was leaning in that direction. Now to track a set in Wgtn!

cheers deez

well considering I drive an auto barge with traction control ... you would think that you could very lightly apply the accelerator (ie not even 1/4 throttle) and take off normally in the wet ... not with the Direzza's ... full on wheelspinning with those things

it made it very hard to take off from side roads into traffic, had to wait for huge gaps because it would be spinning up all over the place

now the Bridgestone's are performing very nicely

I actually have confidence driving my car in the wet again :)

I have used the re oo1 and found them crap, the re 001R was very good though, infact I swear by them. The RE050 was a good tire too.

Hi there ---

cheers

Go the 050's, I have the 050a, got to be careful they put them on correctly. They are a non-directional tyre tread pattern, but they are asymetrical. In short, ensure they follow the rotation sign, I really dont want to tell you how I know this. However the '050' without the a is not asymetrical (I believe) and its pretty cool telling people you have tyres that are o.e on a Ferrari Enzo (well not totally correct, but close enough).

Adrenalins replaced the gridIII's. Not really an option on a 330i I would think. Conti's no idea sorry, but I have always gone Bridgeys if possible esp Japanese made ones. The Adrenalins are mostly from Taiwan.

To DDoogle if the 001 did not work for you it is more likely that the tyre was not suited to the specific car rather than the tyre being crap-

On the right car with the right set up these are a very nice tyre.

Have had the 001 on a standard sw20 mr2 gt and a cm5a lancer and e26 325i, they didn't offer a great amount of grip in comparison to the RE01R [as I said]

Poo, edit, was confused with the re01 not, 001. Sorry chaps, I just remembered the 001 is asymmetrical.

Edited by dirtydoogle

I collect my car tomorrow. B)

BUT it has been quite a saga getting the right size tyres. For a very short while I did think I was going to relent and take what was available - the contis. There was no stock in NZ for re050 and so now I am on back order. I am sorted for the rears and the fronts arrive in a couple of weeks!

I did consider the re11 but the fronts were not available even on back order.

Thanks once again.

The 050 A is also OE for the Holden Astra - but you surely would (not?) tell your friends that.

Would be happy to tell my friends that they are the same tyres used on the Astra.

There are actually some good and very fast Holden/HSV Astra’s but they run Dunlop SP Sport 5000’s and ContiSportContact 2, 050 are only used on the poverty package models. What would Opel know :rolleyes:

Edited by Apex

Hi there - had a quick look on the car to check what if the tyres were all set up ok.

Until both 225x45s (front) arrive the shop lent me a conti sport contact 2 and running my old oem conti on the other side. Here is the rub: rather than re050 the shop put on a set of re001 (yes, they are made in Japan!) for rear (245x40s).

Outside of the issue on asking for a shop to put on the tyres you asked for, is not cool. Anywhere, people have suggested that the 330 was unsuited for this type of asymetrical tread.

Will this tyre be unsuited to draw the best out of my car?

cheers

This tyre test shows that the RE760 (same tread pattern as the 001 which I assume is a different name in USA), is average when it comes to track work, but it's calm to drive and quiet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...60_sport_page_8

RE050A is OEM for BMW 645ci & X6M, Aston Martin V8 vantage & DB9, therefore it must quite good if it is used on those cars.

RE050A is OEM for BMW 645ci & X6M, Aston Martin V8 vantage & DB9, therefore it must quite good if it is used on those cars.

Not necessarily - it probably just means they paid more than the other manufacturers to get their product on the car :P

Seriously though they are both good tyres, but here in NZ we are spoilt for choice when it comes to tyres for such a small country

None of those cars are the top performance models either and I guaranty if you went with the sports upgrade option you would end up with Michelin or Pirelli, those cars would run a different version in any case. As Jono says it’s a good tyre though, not the best performance tyre but looking at what its fitted to above it would be a great GT tyre.