Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Speakers Touching Kick Panels?

Just installed some new 5.25 speakers in my bmw. But i think that when the speakers actually get running the middle part of the speakers may come into contact with the kick panels... what problems will this cause? Haven't actually got my headunit yet to test it but i just wanna know if i should make some modifications.

i presumed uve installed it on the front bottom kick panel. By the sound of things, the speakers are probably too big for the allowed space, though its 5.25 hence the speakers touching the panel.

Several things can be done including -

removing the kick panel

putting spacers between the kick panel - might look ugly as it doesn't quite sit flush.

modifying the kickpanel - cutting it up and placing the speaker covers onto it

i presumed uve installed it on the front bottom kick panel. By the sound of things, the speakers are probably too big for the allowed space, though its 5.25 hence the speakers touching the panel.

Several things can be done including -

removing the kick panel

putting spacers between the kick panel - might look ugly as it doesn't quite sit flush.

modifying the kickpanel - cutting it up and placing the speaker covers onto it

yea probably will end up doing the latter option. i'll sort it out once i get my head unit.

cheers

check if its the ribbing in the kick panel touching, if its only that just get a dremel and hack it out, thats what i did and its fine doesnt touch at all

As said - dremel the kickpanel. The one on the E36 has a plastic 'frame' that protrudes on the speaker side... if you dremel it down you will get about 2mm extra IIRC.

Just installed some new 5.25 speakers in my bmw. But i think that when the speakers actually get running the middle part of the speakers may come into contact with the kick panels... what problems will this cause? Haven't actually got my headunit yet to test it but i just wanna know if i should make some modifications.

You havent told us what speakers you used, but the back space with the original sound deadning is pretty shallow, some people take that out, or as advised dremel (I used a grinder) to take out as much of the inside ribs of the kick panels as possible. They are a tight fit anyway those flippin things but I wouldnt suggest you muckin around with the outside as its hard to do a good job of those. I managed to fit in a cheap shallow speaker panasonic 6.5, that happenned to have the 5.25 speaker screw locations as well and they were tight. They are not kevlar coned 3kg monsters that need 5inches of backspace, but I have much bigger 6.5's reactors in the parcel shelf and a sub in the boot.

To go any bigger would have required a sh*t load more work, but since I aint no head banger I didnt see the justification in trying to squeeze in the reactors. too much work for trivial gain. But thats up to you to decide.

something else you can thing of doing, is the following.

Do a fibreglass mould of the factory unit, cut and edit as you like, personally i would mount the speakers grills in there and have it flush with the new moulded kick panels.

It's pretty easy really.