Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Car selection question.

Right. Have come to the horrible truth that i probably won't get a BMW as my first car. I am getting taught how to drive this year (am 14 in feb) so i will start then. I will start looking for cars around Feb 2006 (when i can go for my restricted) Will have about $3000 by then and Mum and Dad said they will loan about $2000 or so depending...

Have been thinking about Toyota Levin or a little Cynos

Levin = 1.6 engine

Cynos = 1.3 engine

And no i can't get over a 2 litre because of petrol costs for a kid/teen :D

Has anyone got sensible suggestion :D for a Toyota or Nissan? I was kinda thinking along the lines of a Sunny, Levin, Cynos , ........

Have been stuck on thinking about a Toyota or a Nissan because i've heard Mitsi's and Mazda's aren't too reliable. They prolly are but a mates Mitsi Diamante just had a whole lot of sh:t happen..... airbag failure when crashed bla blah blah..thats another story.......

Anyway back to the point.

Under 2.0 litre

Toyota or Nissan

Auto or Manual

This is just a request for model names, not everyone hunting on trademe and posting links lol :D

Thanks

Emma

nissan primera - my old one (now lil sis one) has been going for ages, nothing goes wrong, and economical....1.8L

there are more economical cars...but primera is good

dont u mean u wont b able to get ur restricted agust 2006 keep in mind u gotta b 15 to get ur learners... hell im still on my learners!!

you are wise to choose a non bmw for your first car i said to my parents i wouldnt drive anything else and look where that got me .. a bmw which i cant afford to fix

Edited by bimmer boy

Me confused :huh: . Can't you get your restricted when your 15 and have your learners as soon as you start learning to drive with a parent?

Guest Andrew

why not get an e30 318 manual? they are dirt cheap now for good ones and economical.

Learners license: Must be 15 years old to apply for license, and pass your theory test. After you get your learners license you can then learn to drive a vehicle while under supervision.

Sorry but if if you're 14 in Feb you won't legally be able to learn how to drive until Feb next year... and then upgrade to your restricted in August 2006 all going well.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/car/index.html

why not get an e30 318 manual? they are dirt cheap now for good ones and economical.

Yeah, you'd be looking at nothing more than 4 grand. Thats what i got for my 16th bday, and it was all good, until I got sick of a small and slow car, so 8 months later came trade-in time...

Dunno what all these myths are about regarding unreliable BMWs. Do your homework and you should be sweet. Don't rush in.

yea exactly .. dont b a ryan :lol:

i want another bmw but after what has happend to the last one kinda puts me off having another

i reckon if your not buying a car now then just wait till next year when you are ... cars might be a little more cheaper by then anyway... so just wait and see ... thats my theory ..

Maybe it's my age. But can't you do some advanced courses to have your time reduced from 6 mths to 3 mths for your learners and then from 18mths to 9 mth for your restricted?

I assume you only need a car to get around Dunedin in and your not planning SI road trips.

Get a Hillman Imp. They are great fun, are nearly indestructible. Rear engined beasts with a good heater and excellent handling. They are great for Grasskhana's have brilliant brakes for a car their age and are cheap to run being 875cc.

I am being serious. I had one in Christchurch and it was so much fun to drive. Get a car with character and not a japper.

www.impwerks.co.nz

See if Brian still runs it. I'm sure he does and tell him I sent you.

Edited by cainchapman

you can do your defensive driving course that reduces the 18month period between restricted liscence and your full liscence to 12months

Imps rock.. see the v8 one in the hill climb Wanaka at easter...

w3rd, thats what i was thinking. Great first car.

Honda Civics are realliy reliable

Honda Accords - not going to get a good one for the money IMO

Honda Prelude - yep, good.

Honda integra - good.

Honda CRX - don't crash one.

Nissan Skyline - you can get a 2L one non-turbo, and will be a good car

Nissan Sentra Hatch

Nissan Pulsar - good cars

Nissan primera - Also good

Mitsi Diamantes are known for trouble. Watch out for older mitsi autos, and cambellts on these tend to go when they are supposed to, so don't skimp on replacing it if it is due.

Mitsi Lancer (non GSR, or GSR but non-evo) are really economical, and just get a manual and it'll go for yonks.

Mitsi Galant - see Diamante.

Toyota Corolla - Awesome wee cars with great economy and go forever. Get an FXGT with the 1.6/1.8 4AGE engine - quick little car with cool exhaust note that is eceonmical, cheap to fix and will go forever.

Toyota Levin - a levin is a corolla, just only some of the corolla coupes and sedans are called levins. Same engines as FXGT, so = good.

Toyota Starlet - cheap, and can be quick. Just don't crash one - I was a passenger in one, I know. :(

Ford Laser - the older ones are Mazda 323's as ford and mazda built them together. Popular, but getting long in the tooth now.

mini - they made the old shape up to '92 I think, so you can get ones with lower miles only a few years old. These are crazily fast and cheap to run for their size. My sister has one, and I love driving it, esp. on gravel roads. :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:

BMW e30 318 :mosh:

Audi 100

Audi 80

Holden gemini

Those'll do for a start :D

Ok ill take put that in my mind somewhere :D Thanks bravomikewhisky (BMW)

Now i will explain what i am going to do.

This year , get taught by Mum or Dad (or both) in the paddock, and kind of drive around a few back roads. THEN get my learners. That should be a good plan, ya reckon?

yer get a 4 cylinder e30, theyre slow as f**k (especially 316's) and run on the smell of an oily rag. mines had no problems apart from a dodgy thermostat and i cane the sh*t out of it daily.