Sign in to follow this  
s79colin

USA BMW Recall

Recently my 2004 Z4 had a fault and the SRS light came on.

I looked at the USA bimmerfest forum and found that in the USA 200,000 thousand BMW's (including all 2004/05 Z4's) had been recalled due to a similar fault.

In the USA the fault appear to be caused by micro cracks in the passenger seat sensor mat.

This is the same fault mine had and Jeff Gray in WN replaced the matt (for $600) and the fault went away.

I showed the service guys at Jeff Grays the recall letter from the USA but they told me they couldn't find any such information for BMW NZ.

I asked for the faulty part, the oc3 mat which has the a parts tag with the following info

2-0155-782430

Part: 2335

B/N: 03-T-287

S/N: 05501188930

Has anyone had any similar experiences and actually got their car fixed under warranty?

What they do in the USA is quite different to what is done elsewhere. Likewise with most makes of vehicles. Mazda was doing 5 year unlimited km warranties and then alot of other companies did it. Their consumer laws are quite different as well. You could try it on with BMW NZ... dont know how far you'll get though

My fathers 1970's BMW r80/7 S Bike had a front wheel recall in 1977 or something like this.

He tracked all the info down from the states, as apparently once the recall is issued it wont be withdrawn. He went to team McMillan to try his luck, armed with all the paper work and official looking things from the states, team McMillan took one look at him and turned him down. A few calls to a dealership in the states, team McMillan came back to the table, honored the recall and had a replacement wheel shipped from the states!!!

The recall was due to cracks appearing in the front alloy wheel. I thought it was pretty cool, team McMillan were really good about it once they had confirmation.

Bob McMillan bought Johnstone BMW in 1985 (who bought it off Ross Jensen in '84), and I was pretty sure that all three never sold bikes?

Bob McMillan bought Johnstone BMW in 1985 (who bought it off Ross Jensen in '84), and I was pretty sure that all three never sold bikes?

McMillans can supply BMW bike parts though. I used to service quite a few K100's when I had my business in Parnell

Edit: I'm an old fart biker from way back :P

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn is correct, I never mentioned the bike was purchased there. McMillan simply honoured BMW's international recall even though the recall was over 30 years old. Dad orders a couple parts through them occasionally.

I tried the link on BMW NZ site thanks and no recalls show for my VIN #.

I tried the link on BMW NZ site thanks and no recalls show for my VIN #.

No free fix then... Where abouts are you from ? Might help if you put it in your profile. Then we can offer solutions

Glenn is correct, I never mentioned the bike was purchased there. McMillan simply honoured BMW's international recall even though the recall was over 30 years old. Dad orders a couple parts through them occasionally.

BMW also supply Triumph car parts aswell