Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Tyre Recommendation

Hi All

I needed new rear tyres. I was completely happy with the Yokohame A539's I had been using, but Yokohama have recently released a successor to these the C.drive's.

I just put two of these on the back. I had a real decent drive in my car this morning and really pushed it. The tyres are brilliant, even with my reasonably small footprint (195 60R14) the tyres held really really well.

The big test will be on a wet day (however the A539's were really good in the wet, so I am confident that these will be the same, or better).

However so far, for dry performance I can recommend these.

Here is more on them:

http://www.yokohama.co.nz/patterns.htm

Cheers

yeah ive always been impressed with yoko's ive run

currently on goodyear F1's...and theyre a bit too good..kinda hard work to throw the suckers out..meh.. not like i try to do it often though

thanks for the info grant, will take into consideration when i get a new set of tyres, how are the yokos on tread wear, as in time?

thanks for the info grant, will take into consideration when i get a new set of tyres, how are the yokos on tread wear, as in time?

The rears I replaced were just over two years old and would have done about 30,000km's in that time.

The current fronts I have have been on for about a year, and they still have 5mm or so tread on them (but would have only travelled about 10,000km's in that time).

Cheers

Hmmm, i've got 205/55 baruums all round on mine, had them for 4 years and have done over 40 thou on them, one has 5ml left and the rest 6ml.

While they're not the best performance tyre on the market they're certainly up there for wear.

Hmmm, i've got 205/55 baruums all round on mine, had them for 4 years and have done over 40 thou on them, one has 5ml left and the rest 6ml.

While they're not the best performance tyre on the market they're certainly up there for wear.

You'd expect that with Barum's though.

I'm of the opinion that i's much rather sacrifice wear for better performance, after all there is not much keeping your car in contact with the road, so you need to make sure that what you do have is pretty good.

Cheers

Wow! 30-40k!!!!!1!!1

Man i am lucky if i get 15k!

Fortunately I have better things to spend my money on than new tyres all of the time.

Cheers

Wow! 30-40k!!!!!1!!1

Man i am lucky if i get 15k!

Fortunately I have better things to spend my money on than new tyres all of the time.

Cheers

werd dawg, buying new tyres sucks monkey balls.

go the good old toyo t1s's :D

they rock my world.... still

Grant, I will admit that at the time of purchase I was strapped for cash since I had just bought new rims and the Barum's were cheap as chips for directionals. I believe that they were a damned good purchase for the price though.

I have found the Barum's to be quite a hard tyre which is why they have exceptional wear, fairly even too...but they sacrifice the grip for it.

I've only come loose twice and both times it was going uphill in the wet around right hand sweepers - possibly the diff at fault but disconcerting. They also like to squeal loudly when you reach there traction limits round bends.

I've been waiting for them to wear out so I can get some new tyres but i've been waiting for over 9 months now for them to wear out!!!

I like the factory tires .. i beleive they are ContiSports .. 245/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 fronts ...

They have never squeeled when doing hard around corners and i've done nearly 20K on them without even reaching half the tread .. and they are damn grippy too .. Even in the wet ..

Grant, I will admit that at the time of purchase I was strapped for cash

Say no more, I once bought GT Radials when I was strapped for cash.....boy was that a bad decision... :D

Cheers

Getting performance tyres is always more expensive than its seems, as well as the tyres themselves costing more they don't last as long so you have to buy them more often.

Grant, could you explain some more about the GT Radials? did they wear fast or poor grip, or both :(

Hmm, i want 15's so i can get T1-R. Since Cdrive come in 60 profile i'm looking at some of those.

Edited by petone

Getting performance tyres is always more expensive than its seems, as well as the tyres themselves costing more they don't last as long so you have to buy them more often. Still tyre wear is dependent on lots of different thing, mianly how hard you drive but wheel alingment and worn suspension make a big differnce as well.

Grant, could you explain some more about the GT Radials? did they wear fast or poor grip, or both :(

Hmm, i want 15's so i can get T1-R. Since Cdrive come in 60 profile i'm looking at some of those.

Mike

The GT Radials were fine when they were nearly new, but as soon as they were even partially worn, they had no grip, and in the wet were just downright dangerous.

These were the GT Radial Champiro's. Maybe other types of GT Radials are better, but these were terrible.

I replaced them with the Yoko A539's and the difference was amazing.

They were hard wearing though, in fact when I took them off they still had a good 3 - 4 mm of tread, and I had them on the car for a good 3 years.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

man Barums are upper class compared to Kelly Charger hand me downs when your strapped for cash.

on the 320 I only ever had hand me down tyres.. ollies old yokos.. some random old kelly chargers.

to make things worse gus actually used those yokos for a while after a total of about 6 years use hah.

the yoko A539's were sticky as sh*t.....its amazing the diff between a good and bad tyre...even when mostly worn the yokos are STILL more grippy than fully treaded barums....next step wil prob be getting some yokos like grants, i like the look...have a bit more options with 15's

when you have bottle caps its always a bitch buying tyres as you try and spend as little so you can get better wheels to fit better tyres on.....its kinda fun though :D

I like the factory tires .. i beleive they are ContiSports .. 245/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 fronts ...

They have never squeeled when doing hard around corners and i've done nearly 20K on them without even reaching half the tread .. and they are damn grippy too .. Even in the wet ..

I've got the exact same tyres on the E30, I think they are great.

Definitely the nicest I've driven on (and quite), then maybe the Goodyear GS-D3 or Toyo T1-S.

Definitely the nicest I've driven on (and quite), then maybe the Goodyear GS-D3 or Toyo T1-S.

Yep they sure are quiet .... it's one of the quietest 17'' tires i've been on...