Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Rally Drive NZ

Hi All

Just thought I'd let you all know what I am doing the same weekend as the Megameet is on.

I am doing the 2 Day Rally School with Rally Drive NZ. (www.rallydrivenz.co.nz). Brook got it for me for xmas.

It should be good fun, and I am looking forward to it a lot.

Cheers

no need to brag ........ we know you're cool

It a very cool weekend. Did that August 03.

Top guys. Did it as part of the requirement for National rally Licence

^_^

Here are a couple of pics from the couple of days.

Me in the Mivec Mirage churning up the grass

post-18-1107825222.jpg

Did you enjoy the set up for the weekend?

That Mivec was totaled the weekend i was up there, and it was'nt me!

Very cool way to spend a few days :thumb:

Did you enjoy the set up for the weekend?

That Mivec was totaled the weekend i was up there, and it was'nt me!

Very cool way to spend a few days :thumb:

I thought it was very professionally run right from the first minute to the last. Also there was a good mix of driving and theory, and the tutors (Marty, Dylan and John) were awesome when you were actually in the car.

Ours was pretty much incident free, one guy put the mirage through a fence, but the damage was only minor (the front valance was knackered). Ther mirage was hard work though and was very very slippery.

The Evo 4 was my favourite, it was so smooth and even though you actually felt like you were going a lot slower than the Evo 2 and 3, you were actually going a heck of a lot faster.

Cheers

How much was the deal you were on?

There's different packs eh?

I did a similar thing with formular V at Taupo, f**kin cool.

How much was the deal you were on?

There's different packs eh?

I did a similar thing with formular V at Taupo, f**kin cool.

Yeah there are three options.

The rally school which is 2 days and costs $895, the rally experience which is one day and costs about $400 and the hot laps cost $160 or so (from memory).

Cheers

Ahh those pics bring back memories :D I've got a gravel sprint at the end of the month and now I really can't wait!! :bounce:

Did you find it unnerving when the instructor would be saying "faster faster" but your mind is saying "No BRAKE BRAKE"

Also did you hear anything about them opening a test road for people to use?? it was being talked about when I was there last year.

Nothing was mentioned about the road testing for the public. However Dale said that he has taken over the management for 12 years of a portion of the forest and controls the activity in that portion (it is a substantial sized chunk), so maybe that is part of it, he did say that they were putting a 4WD track in there too (when he saw me turn up in the Wrangler) for pulic use.

But yes, it took a while to get used to actually hitting the go pedal all the way through the corner not after the apex. But I figured that the instructers aren't there to get themselves killed so when they said to go faster that it would be best if I did!!

It was also unnerving that when you started to lose it and get a bit sideways, that you actually just put the power down and turned the steering wheel where you wanted the car to go, and it corrected so well and without any fuss at all.

What car are you doing the Gravel Sprint in?

Cheers

Yeah it took me a while to stop driving like I was on tarmac, the driving style is completely different. Learning that alone made the course worht it's weight in gold, I would have arrived at my first event and gone about it completely the wrong way!!

Dale was talking about having a "stage" that people could use for testing (not open to the public of course and for a fee) which would be great, currently the only way for people like me to get practice is to do events.

I've got a Honda Civic SiR with cage, raised suspension (not what you normally do to a Civic....) etc. It's basically the same as the MIVEC Mirage they use. I had it before I did the rally school but doing the rally school reinforced that that was what I wanted to do.

ahhhh, yeah, then the stage must be available for testing. There were some guys doing testing in a Subaru WRX Group N car (the one that Peggy Bourne was standing by when she was being interviewed for the news).

They just mixed in with us and snuck their runs in between ours.

Cheers