Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

E39 Ignition Switch

On the way back from Dunners last week, we stopped for a break, and when we got back into the car ( 1996 E39 540i ) the car would not start.

The ignition switch felt 'strange' and no starter action - the rear window blind did start to go up by itself, which was strange!

After some thumbling around, pulling key out and in several times, it worked, and has done so since.

But - is this a 'common' filure - should I be replacing the switch? i have noticed that intermittantly the car does not start with the key a certain way around, but have just put this down to a worn key on one side.

A quick Google found this :

Faulty Ignition/Starter Switch

Model:

BMW 5 Series (E39), BMW 7 Series (E38)

Complaint:

A possibility of poor contact in the ignition/starter switch through production tolerances could lead to problems starting the vehicle at a later date.

Remedy:

Utilize the ‘Service Menu’ of the Dealer Communication System, and based upon the response of the system either proceed with corrective action, or take no action at all. If corrective action is necessary then replace the ignition/starter switch.

Please note: The switch must not be mounted with its weight on one side, therefore tighten the two grub screws alternately to avoid misaligning the switch. Before the cable connector is connected check the ignition key snaps back from position 3.

What sort of coin am I looking at, and would I need a new key or some sort of re=programming?

TIA

Edited by camera doctor

Yes they are a common fault on them and around $380.00 to replace. Get it looked at as the wrigling in the ignition will fail you one day.

Same with the faulty cam sensor in the E39 as well.

If you have two keys carry them with you it may also be your module on your key as well.

It will be the ignition switch... common fault. No key required...just the electric switch on the L/H side of the steering column

Edited by *Glenn*

$70 including postage.

ph.0212435526

Switch obtained from Brent, fitted today, so far so good.

Did think that the T30 bolts holding the black plastic cage around the switch was a bit of German Overkill!

:)