Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

E34 Steering is busted

the front wheels cant be turned, am pretty sure it is the steering rack, but does anyone have any other suggestions? this is not on my car so i will try to answer any questions to the best i can if you have any, but i will be doing the work on it.

M30B35 E34 535i

e34 use a steering box not a rack . unless its a 4wd model .

maybe the steering lock is on (ign key related)

does the steering wheel still turn?? if it doesn't as Brent said above.. if it does turn check the joint going to the steering box.. also may be the arm on the steering box, I have come across some which have needed some tightening due to play in the steering but never to the point of no steering at all.

the steering wheel will rotate aproximately 90 degrees in either direction (ie 90 total movement not 180). notice no movement from the front wheels when this happens. New steering rack/box has been ordered so hopefully this is what it is.

have you chevked the shaft where it goes into the steering box is that turning as well , might be broken universal in the steering colum

have you chevked the shaft where it goes into the steering box is that turning as well , might be broken universal in the steering colum

im working on my own so its kinda hard to turn the steering wheel and check this shaft at the same time but ill give it a go