Sign in to follow this  
Mike

E39 amp/sub install

Got around to putting the amp and sub into the E39 today. Power was easy enough with the battery being in the boot but I'm not sure that the signal input is ok. I simply cut into the rear speaker inputs from the H/U to factory amp (I left the factory stuff all working) and wired some RCA plugs onto the end and ran it to the amp. It all sounds and works fine but I'd just like to double check that I'm not likely to damage any of the factory stuff?

I was thinking about upgrading the rest of the factory stuff but I might just chuck some new mids and tweeters in the fronts and leave it at that. Not such a fan of that box either, I'd like to pull the sat nav gear out the way and mount something off the roof of the boot.

Lastly - what are the 2 modules on either side of the sub-box?

Cheers

post-1471-1260071380.jpg

post-1471-1260071402.jpg

Edited by Mike

Got around to putting the amp and sub into the E39 today. Power was easy enough with the battery being in the boot but I'm not sure that the signal input is ok. I simply cut into the rear speaker inputs from the H/U to factory amp (I left the factory stuff all working) and wired some RCA plugs onto the end and ran it to the amp. It all sounds and works fine but I'd just like to double check that I'm not likely to damage any of the factory stuff?

I was thinking about upgrading the rest of the factory stuff but I might just chuck some new mids and tweeters in the fronts and leave it at that. Not such a fan of that box either, I'd like to pull the sat nav gear out the way and mount something off the roof of the boot.

Lastly - what are the 2 modules on either side of the sub-box?

Cheers

Mike,

Can't see any problem with hookup of amp as you are using RCA's so is low level. Don't like those bloody scotch lock connections though <_<

Don't you like front speaker setup? I find it ok. Will be a bit of rearranging as the front mid & bass speakers mount into a specific enclosure.

Sat nav positioning in Jap car is a pain in the a... Gets in the way for boot access. Having said that - mine is still there. All other market cars - they are located in L/H rear by the amp etc.

Haven't got round to it yet but I was thinking of fitting a DIN mount DVD player in the L/H corner in a cradle that the Euro nav normally mounts into. One day!

Two modules either side in seat back: L/H side - Radio tuner (that crappy Jap one) R/H side - video module (TV tuner)

Ditch those blue connectors. They often fail.

Good luck doing anything to the front. BMW has made it particularly difficult to improve

I recently installed an amp and sub in to my E39. I ended up using a Line output converter ($20 from Jaycar) by simply tapping in to the left rear speaker output from the factory amp with a female to female bullet connector.

SECURE YOUR SUB!!!!

NOW!!!

you don't have much cable length there your going to rip something out of something on the first decent corner you take (i.e. 30kph driving like granny)...

Dont worry it is.

Hmmm, didnt know those connectors were that dodgy.

Whats the preference over cutting and crimping, or soldering and heat shrinking for tapping into existing wire?

Dont worry it is.

Hmmm, didnt know those connectors were that dodgy.

Whats the preference over cutting and crimping, or soldering and heat shrinking for tapping into existing wire?

Yep, splice into wire, solder the splice & tape.

To double check your install, go to the bavariansoundworks website, plug in you car details and search for subwoofer or speaker upgrades. Then go to the "Install info" tab there's step by step instructions including which wires to tap into.