Sign in to follow this  
Markq

Ticking Noise

I have a E30 320i. It has developed a ticking noise from the engine/engine bay that speeds up when the revs increase. Any idea what this may be?

It'll be either injectors or valve clearances

EDIT: my last car, an izuzu, had noisey tapets but I don't think that's a bmw prob???

Edited by ///Carl

Easy fix or hard fix? I have also been told on a Trademe it could be seals in the hydralic lifters drying out. recommended Pro-Ma MBL8?

My car has a ticking noise albeit subtle...needs a good tune up I wreckon, it's been serviced up until recently by Shelleys BMW here in welly but that does nothing in the way of actual mechanical maintenance. I've been told by Ian (hartage) to get my valve clearnaces done so I guess he knows the cost???

You can do the valve adjust yourself easy enough. You need torque wrench, valve cover gasket, feeler gauges plus a few other tools which i'm not exactly sure on, just stuff like a stiff wire to move adjusters and a 10mm spanner etc.

There are plenty of write ups on different tech sites, search around for them.

Other than time the only cost is valve cover gasket., which is $17 for M10 i think. a gasket for you M20 shouldn't be too much more.

Don't expect the noise to go away completly though, its normal for all e30 to have a quiet ticking noise.

Edited by petone

Just learn to live with it. It seems that most of the 6 cylinder E30's develop this ticking noise.

Mine has had it for 5 years, I just ignore it, there is nothing wrong with my car, and it is not causing any harm to it.

Cheers

Mine does the same thing, 6 cylinder E30.. Altho Im thinking mine is more of an exhaust leak...

Also, i get a ticking from behind the dash, which i put down to a noisy speedo cable? it goes away after driving for 5 mins or so..

It is the tappets/lifters. As petone has said, you can adjust them, but you prob won't get the noise to go away completely esp as the cam will prob be slightly worn and adding to the prob. Almost all m20's I've heard have it to some degree.

hey petone - didn't think you could adjust the tappets on a M10?

While we're on the subject of weird noises...

I also get a very strange "thump" from the boot/rear of car.

Happens only when i turn RIGHT hand corners.. and turning LEFT hand corners seems to RESET it... so if i turn left, no noise.. but next right turn, i get the thump. If i turn another right corner, without turning left, no thump.

i have done a very exhaustive search of my boot, made sure that theres nothing in there thats rolling around. Made sure my jack, and other tools are secure. Battery is secure. Subs are secure enough (heavy, and carpetted, so shouldnt move)

So im at a loss.. only other thing im considering it might be, is something mechanical under the car, such as axles, possibly diff related? Very strange..

I should take my subs out of the car and see if it still does it. Then remove all tools, see if it still does it.. so on until i get rid of the noise.... bloody frustrating.

Yeah M10 has adjustable valves and does the little ticking as well. Its normally not doing any harm but if it gets bad you could be losing power or putting extra strain on the rocker arms and valve gear.

Vent, you noise could be the exhaust nocking against something, my one did the same thing for a bit. From the noise it was making i didn't think thats what it would be but sure enough it was.

Happens only when i turn RIGHT hand corners.. and turning LEFT hand corners seems to RESET it... so if i turn left, no noise.. but next right turn, i get the thump. If i turn another right corner, without turning left, no thump.

i have done a very exhaustive search of my boot, made sure that theres nothing in there thats rolling around. Made sure my jack, and other tools are secure. Battery is secure. Subs are secure enough (heavy, and carpetted, so shouldnt move)

So im at a loss.. only other thing im considering it might be, is something mechanical under the car, such as axles, possibly diff related? Very strange..

I should take my subs out of the car and see if it still does it. Then remove all tools, see if it still does it.. so on until i get rid of the noise.... bloody frustrating.

semi floating r/h diff / axle ???

:lol:

Mine does the same thing, 6 cylinder E30.. Altho Im thinking mine is more of an exhaust leak...

Also, i get a ticking from behind the dash, which i put down to a noisy speedo cable? it goes away after driving for 5 mins or so..

You don't have a speedo cable so the noise isn't coming from there. My guess would be rust under the battery or the rubber grommet around the ECU wiring has fallen out.

Easy fix or hard fix? I have also been told on a Trademe it could be seals in the hydralic lifters drying out. recommended Pro-Ma MBL8?

320's don't have hydralic lifters.

Worn rear sway bar links or muffler hitting the body.