Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Insurance Woes

That is some good deal, even without multisaver I sure it's probably like 10% higher.

Like a lot of people have discovered, premiums are now very high, maybe it has something to do with age brackets.

Something I don't understand was 2 years ago I had a $3000 Honda and the premium was $600. Then I changed to a $20k BMW and the premium was $650.

One of the things I like about AMI is that it is a AMI is owned by the yourself, the insurer. It is run not to make a profit so I am assuming that every other insurer like State etc has to make a 10% profit bottom line where as AMI don't need to. Any profit is returned to the stakeholders through less premiums the following year. They try to operate at a zero profit level.

One of the interesting observations about insurance premiums is the that age of driver is a factor in premiums as well as value of the car. Without sounding "old", my driving style has evolved and now days I am less inclined to take risks with a more expensive car than when I was driving a $5k car. I think insurance companies factor that a $5k car on the road is more likely to be involved in an accident so they are hit with a high premium.

Another factor is that if you get involved in an accident, the cost to the insurer is likely to be the same for a smaller accident regardless of the vehicle value. The value of the car will only come into play in a "write off" situation which I would guess would be not very common compared with repair jobs.

Mum rear ended someone at 20kph, 95' Corolla... Bent slam panel, bonet, ect... no radiator damage, could still drive the car...

Write off.

AMI charge me, lots. for 3k car. 900/yr :( they must think a gutless 2L car is fast or something, or i'll take it out and do "phat drifts bae" which a 320i auto can't do anyway so why the hell do they charge so fuuing much.

Mum rear ended someone at 20kph, 95' Corolla... Bent slam panel, bonet, ect... no radiator damage, could still drive the car...

Write off.

AMI charge me, lots. for 3k car. 900/yr :( they must think a gutless 2L car is fast or something, or i'll take it out and do "phat drifts bae" which a 320i auto can't do anyway so why the hell do they charge so fuuing much.

they just look at the BMW badge.