Sign in to follow this  
RvT

What battery brand to buy for the Beast

The e60 M5 needs a new battery and have been putting it off. It is still on its original ex factory so after 4 years, it is due for replacement. Past BMWs I have bought OEM ones ex stealer. I am probably know the answer but .. is there any difference between OEM and aftermarket batteries for the larger sized BMWs? Apart from price?

If I was looking aftermarket, any brand that I should focus on as being "better" ?

Cheers all

4 years for an original BMW battery?? Thats not overly good. Are you sure it's crook?

Just replaced mine at 10 yrs & have replaced lots in BMW's at up to & beyond that age.

The OE fit batteries are usually Varta or similar & of very good quality.

4 yrs ish is common enough for run of mill brands. Having said that - any brand can fail at any time.

Don't need to go genuine but make sure you get a calcium one of similar size/spec

We use Century batteries. However any well branded battery will do the job. As Grant (hotwire) said, only fit a calcium battery. A Din85ZL should be the right battery for your car.

i got a hella for mine at a local auto electrician who was having a sale....was starting to crank slowly and had required a jump start...weak battery plus 1600kg car = AA

4 years for an original BMW battery?? Thats not overly good. Are you sure it's crook?

Just replaced mine at 10 yrs & have replaced lots in BMW's at up to & beyond that age.

The OE fit batteries are usually Varta or similar & of very good quality.

4 yrs ish is common enough for run of mill brands. Having said that - any brand can fail at any time.

Don't need to go genuine but make sure you get a calcium one of similar size/spec

Thanks everyone for comments so far.

Had an e34 535 and had to replace twice as I had it for 6 years to need a new one, once after buying the car in UK and then again over here 4 years later. Last car was a e39 540 and that needed to be replaced at 3.5 years as again replaced when I imported it and again before I sold it. The current e60 has been giving me screen warnings of "high discharge" since I bought the car 2 years ago. Have been charging the battery every 4 months but the warning image on screen comes up after about a month of use so I am getting a bit sick of it and want to fix. Having said that, the car is only used every 10 days or so and sits in the garage a lot.

Maybe there is a correlation between big motors and higher battery wear ???

On a secondary note, the wife's Audi was stopping in the middle of the road (felt like a carb issue) so dropped it off at stealer. They fixed it on a recall notice at no charge, small sensor issue, and then informed me the battery was stuffed. Said to replace it as a quick reaction knowing that I had just charged it up after running flat previous week and maybe they were right. The bill came in at $850 for the battery. Now I am gun shy of stealers and batteries, hence the post ...

The correct battery should cost you around $300 + Gst. It would also be wise to get a battery discharge check on the car... it may have a problem causing the battery to go flat... some electricians may not know the correct proceedure to do this on the car... there is a proceedure on the BMW's and its not a 5min job... I can help if need be. BTW: there is a special charger for a calcium battery.. a standard charger won't do it properly

The correct battery should cost you around $300 + Gst. It would also be wise to get a battery discharge check on the car... it may have a problem causing the battery to go flat... some electricians may not know the correct proceedure to do this on the car... there is a proceedure on the BMW's and its not a 5min job... I can help if need be. BTW: there is a special charger for a calcium battery.. a standard charger won't do it properly

Thanks Glenn. Would love to take it up to you but that would be about 4 tanks of gas to get to Akl and the same home (I get 320km out of a tank on non spirited driving :) It is due an oil change in the next month so may ask the question from Chc BMW. They will probably say "new battery" so I think I will get the Century battery first as it will work out cheaper :)

Battery says it is a 90ah - 900a - does this match the Din85ZL (or is 85 = 85A???)

Thanks

Thanks Glenn. Would love to take it up to you but that would be about 4 tanks of gas to get to Akl and the same home (I get 320km out of a tank on non spirited driving :) It is due an oil change in the next month so may ask the question from Chc BMW. They will probably say "new battery" so I think I will get the Century battery first as it will work out cheaper :)

Battery says it is a 90ah - 900a - does this match the Din85ZL (or is 85 = 85A???)

Thanks

The Din 85ZLMF calcium battery is a 158AH 780CCA

Yes I know where you live. What I meant was if you need any help feel free to ask. Just check the dimensions. Some of the later cars take a special battery only available from your local stealer. It might help to give me the part # off the battery

Yes I know where you live. What I meant was if you need any help feel free to ask.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend and really appreciate your help.

Part number is 61 21 6 919 342 + second number underneath 61 21 6 924 022

From the horses mouth...your car must have an OEM battery fitted. Can only be fitted by the dealer (intelligent systems type battery) and the vehicle & systems have to be told that a new battery is now fitted. Your numbers dont work. The genuine battery for an E60 M5 is $456.41 + Gst

I see you are in Rangiora.

I have Supercharge batteries ( They have a base in CHCH ) in both my 540i and my Peugeot 206 GTi

Have been running both for 12 months, no issues.

Phone 0800 188 122

I see you are in Rangiora.

I have Supercharge batteries ( They have a base in CHCH ) in both my 540i and my Peugeot 206 GTi

Have been running both for 12 months, no issues.

Phone 0800 188 122

This is an E60 though... different systems... I didnt read the OP properly myself...just saw M5 and jumped in

From the horses mouth...your car must have an OEM battery fitted. Can only be fitted by the dealer (intelligent systems type battery) and the vehicle & systems have to be told that a new battery is now fitted. Your numbers dont work. The genuine battery for an E60 M5 is $456.41 + Gst

Thanks Glenn.

After reading your post, I rang BMW and as you said, they need to tell the car about the new battery which can take minimum of 15 minutes. Informed me I need to book it in and they had no time till after Xmas. So much for a plug n play option. These Germans are getting crafty as they build newer cars. It will be harder in the future to buy non OEM simple stuff. I wonder when they will require the tires get replaced at dealer too.

Thanks Glenn.

After reading your post, I rang BMW and as you said, they need to tell the car about the new battery which can take minimum of 15 minutes. Informed me I need to book it in and they had no time till after Xmas. So much for a plug n play option. These Germans are getting crafty as they build newer cars. It will be harder in the future to buy non OEM simple stuff. I wonder when they will require the tires get replaced at dealer too.

interesting to hear ..i have had my 535 for seven years now...replaced the battery after about 2 years....have had absolutely no worries,Car used to be used daily,now used maybe once a week maybe once every two weeks....Mind you the battery is the biggest car battery i have seen...

interesting to hear ..i have had my 535 for seven years now...replaced the battery after about 2 years....have had absolutely no worries,Car used to be used daily,now used maybe once a week maybe once every two weeks....Mind you the battery is the biggest car battery i have seen...

Am in a similar position to Paul. Have had the M5 for 8 years and replaced the battery twice. Beware, the last battery was reverse polarity i.e. charged with the wrong way round, if that makes sense. Cost the distributor a lot of labour and an alternator rebulid. Could have been a lot worse. Get the battery polarity checked before you install.

Am in a similar position to Paul. Have had the M5 for 8 years and replaced the battery twice. Beware, the last battery was reverse polarity i.e. charged with the wrong way round, if that makes sense. Cost the distributor a lot of labour and an alternator rebulid. Could have been a lot worse. Get the battery polarity checked before you install.

Shite Bruce, thats an unusual one, think I have only seen this in a new battery once, maybe twice in nearly 30yrs in the trade. Seen many times when batteries have been recharged incorrect polarity though.