Sign in to follow this  
nzdonjohnson

e34 535iS

So here he is:

post-4837-1261796144.jpg

This is my 1990 M535iS which i'll be keeping on the road / adding some enhancements in the foreseeable future.

What it needs:

• Rotors Replaced
  • Front drivers seat repaired
  • Rear parcel tray re-dyed
  • Door cards repaired
  • Hoodlining Repair
  • Suspension bushes
  • EAT performance chip
  • Full re-spray
  • Fix oil leak from oil pan
  • And plenty more i'm sure...

So here we go, hopefully i'll be able to contribute a bit to the forum - and you fellas can help me out when i'm in a bind!

Odd to be replying to my own post, but hey - it's like laughing at your own jokes I guess.

So my EAT performance chip arrived from the states on Christmas eve, I managed to find a guy selling it second hand for US$100 shipped to NZ, compared to US$229 for the chip alone new.

I was keen on what i'd heard from people in the States, everyone seemed to think the chip helped a lot down low in the powerband with drivability, and a fair amount of pep above 4k.

So... I got the ECU out of here:

post-4837-1261796810.jpg

Checked out the folded tab construction:

post-4837-1261796823.jpg

Flipped up the tabs:

post-4837-1261796836.jpg

And here's what I found:

post-4837-1261796845.jpg

So it already had a superchip fitted - I was wondering because when the beast hit 4000 RPM it had one helluva boot in the back over a standard 535iA.

All my online research led me to the Mark D'Sylva EAT Performance chip being right up there with the best, and better than most other chips - hence why I was keen to buy one.

Anyway - I installed this EAT powerchip (6k8 limit):

post-4837-1261797046.jpg

And whooooooooop whoooooop it's a great difference, down low performance and throttle response is a whole heap better. It's slightly quicker on the ass-o-meter above 4000 RPM, but the real difference is below this point.

It makes the beast heaps easier to manoeuvre in traffic, much smoother response off the line.

So, a good one first up - i'll post up as and when I fix / add things...

Good stuff mate and nice car :) best of luck with the rest of your upgrading.

thats interesting i thought the NZ cars couldnt use the eat chips cos we have a closed loop non cat system...

hhmmm, i think its better to do a proper remap on a dyno so you can get the best results from the engine .

have done a couple of cars and got good results that you can see and feel

hhmmm, i think its better to do a proper remap on a dyno so you can get the best results from the engine .

have done a couple of cars and got good results that you can see and feel

Yea - I did consider that, but this was just the quick and easy option. The car feels great, it's a big difference and feels a lot better around town. I'm not interested in racing, so for me it was more for drivability.

It'd be interesting to see how much difference it makes on a dyno...