Sign in to follow this  
khairul23

speedometer and ABS warning

I have this intermittent problem. While driving, sometimes the ABS warning light shows on the dash. At exactly the same time, the speedometer needle drops to zero and doesn't function. Sometime later the ABS warning light goes away, and at the exact same time, the speedometer needle starts working again.

The first time I noticed this happen, there was some weird loud noise when I pressed the brake. But the noise was only one-off. It does not recur even when the ABS warning light shows up again.

Weeks before all these happen until now, there was some soft clinking noise when I press the brake, very subtle as compared to that one occasion above.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I have this intermittent problem. While driving, sometimes the ABS warning light shows on the dash. At exactly the same time, the speedometer needle drops to zero and doesn't function. Sometime later the ABS warning light goes away, and at the exact same time, the speedometer needle starts working again.

The first time I noticed this happen, there was some weird loud noise when I pressed the brake. But the noise was only one-off. It does not recur even when the ABS warning light shows up again.

Weeks before all these happen until now, there was some soft clinking noise when I press the brake, very subtle as compared to that one occasion above.

Have a look at this, >>Clicky me<< , The Symptoms seem the same as yours :D

Edited by M-Spec

Have a look at this, >>Clicky me<< , The Symptoms seem the same as yours :D

Your link looks highly probable. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

yes pretty common abs sensor failure .

i a have some for pre 1999 models

also the electronics in the abs pump can fail due to dry joints etc.the abs modules can be repaired

Likely wheel speed sensor fault

Without using a diagnostic tool to find out which sensor is faulty, you have to work blind

Working blind means:

Visually inspect all 4 wheel sensors for damage.

Look carefully at the cable and the connectors

Then replace the sensors one by one until you find the faulty unit

You may not have a faulty speed sensor, the problem may be in the ABS control unit.

If so, replace ABS control unit

PS: using a BMW Diagnostic Scanner will locate and identify the problem very quickly.

We have replacement sensors etc. at the best prices.

We can scan and isolate the problem easily with BMW GT1 diagnostics for those who are in the Auck. area.

A very common problem.

Thanks guys. I've got a scanner that I could try use to find what the fault may be. I'll get in contact if a sensor needs replacing.

My 2000 520ia did this too. If it only does it once the car is warm it is most likely the ABS computer module in the engine bay. We did the fault code thing but it was a red-hearing. Changed an ABS sensor at the wheel and it made no difference. BM Warehouse were great and took the sensor back luckely for me.

If the problem is related to the temp of the engine compartment it is the ABS comp.

The original contacts crack and when the unit gets hot you get all sorts of ABS faults.

I sent mine to an ABS workshop in Tauranga. They took it apart, replaced the aluminium contacts with copper ones and sent it back all fixed. I think it was around $260

You can still drive the car with the ABS comp off but you have no speed or ABS.

Edited by Stephen O