Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

E39 radio - Managed to kill it!

First post!

Just bought a 2000 E39 528i Jap import with 4:3 TV, radio and CD changer. No phone, DSP or navigation. What is the code for this setup as the huge variety of E39 systems has confused the hell out of me?!

Pulled the trunk lining off to check radio module numbers and found a band expander. Explained the crap radio reception. Reassembled and now the radio won’t work. Weird.

Symptoms:

TV works.

Volume works (including steering wheel).

Eject button makes whirring noise (cassette was jammed in when I got it, I got it out but deck is kaput).

Other buttons don’t have any response.

No radio or CD.

Obviously I’ve checked all fuses, found one of the radio ones blown. Replaced and still won’t work. Radio module has a 12VDC feed still (band expander is tapped into it).

Any suggestions about where to troubleshoot next?

Richard

Car has following audio options:

602 on board monitor with TV.

676 HIFI speaker system.

694 Preparation for cd changer.

Car has following audio options:

602 on board monitor with TV.

676 HIFI speaker system.

694 Preparation for cd changer.

have you checked ALL fuse locations..there will be at least two major fuse locations.My e 34 has a bank in the engine bay and another under the rear seat.Dont know about e 39

Are you the first owner in NZ? Car would have at least had CD changer & probably nav as original fitment (not seen a Jap car with TV but no nav)

Fuse boxes located in glove box & in boot by battery.

Should have battery feed (red/green) & acc (purple/white

Try disconnecting battery to reset system.

Band expanders are CRAP in these cars - best to fit a euro tuner

PM if you wish for a rundown on things

Checked all fuses and all are good. Both feeds mentioned are 12VDC at radio box in boot. Disconnecting battery didn't help.

Mucking around pushed volume button and it came to life. Oh FFS, didn't even know that turned it off... :huh:

So that is all solved! :rolleyes:

There is unused wiring behind the amp and CD changer so perhaps previous owner removed nav?

Checked all fuses and all are good. Both feeds mentioned are 12VDC at radio box in boot. Disconnecting battery didn't help.

Mucking around pushed volume button and it came to life. Oh FFS, didn't even know that turned it off... :huh:

So that is all solved! :rolleyes:

There is unused wiring behind the amp and CD changer so perhaps previous owner removed nav?

Yep, sorry - didn't think to mention the obvious - turn it on :rolleyes:

Nav - quite likely removed:- Two plugs - a small black squarish plug & a white flat plug with from memory 5 wires.

Nav can be resurected if wished - but at a cost

Jap radio needs biffing & replacing with Euro unit

Just bought a 2000 E39 528i Jap import with 4:3 TV, radio and CD changer. No phone, DSP or navigation. What is the code for this setup as the huge variety of E39 systems has confused the hell out of me?!

Further to Hotwires email:

Replacing the radio with an Oceania or Euro model will fix the radio and cure all reception woes. Plug and play, cheap.

Your TV will receive all NZ VHF and UHF TV, set to PAL-Europe.

You can easily add BMW navigation to your car.

You can easily add BMW handsfree telephone bluetooth interface to your car - with full integration to telephone cluster and to TV screen.

The failled tapedeck is common, it is worn cogs on the eject mechanism. No cure other than a new tapre deck (if you want to).

Note that if you like MP3s then there is an excellent plug and play MP3 SD card reader for the BMW that replaces the CD changer. Google CP600BMW

Further to Hotwires email:

Replacing the radio with an Oceania or Euro model will fix the radio and cure all reception woes. Plug and play, cheap.

Your TV will receive all NZ VHF and UHF TV, set to PAL-Europe.

You can easily add BMW navigation to your car.

You can easily add BMW handsfree telephone bluetooth interface to your car - with full integration to telephone cluster and to TV screen.

The failled tapedeck is common, it is worn cogs on the eject mechanism. No cure other than a new tapre deck (if you want to).

Note that if you like MP3s then there is an excellent plug and play MP3 SD card reader for the BMW that replaces the CD changer. Google CP600BMW

hi , is there another option like the cp600bmw that has a usb socket as would like to plug in a small portable harddrive , (160gb western digital passport)

have seen the dension option is there any others ???

hi , is there another option like the cp600bmw that has a usb socket as would like to plug in a small portable harddrive , (160gb western digital passport)

What about packaging the harddrive in whiteplastic, stick a clickwheel on it and call it an iPod?

Then you'd be fine with interfaces :-)

Otherwise, not that I know of...

do the e39 "stereos" have an aux input?

What about packaging the harddrive in whiteplastic, stick a clickwheel on it and call it an iPod?

Then you'd be fine with interfaces :-)

Otherwise, not that I know of...

nice , yes have thought of that . but i already have 3 of these harddrives they dont cost much and they stay in the glovebox of each of my cars and are controlled by the jvc headunits controls .

so dont realy need a screen on them etc .

just wondered if there was a bmw factory look type option if i where to sell one of teh older bmw's and go to a e39 etc where i dont realy want to rip out the factory radio system and loose the obc features etc

thanks brent

do the e39 "stereos" have an aux input?

The video modules have AV & camera in options

any extra audio inputs?

Yep - via AV - audio + video

Well I've been digging, the options on these things are damn complex.

My car has a black squarish plug and a flat white plug at the top of the LH rear wheel arch. Harness 61128377438 is plugged into it and goes nowhere (One 20 pin black plug and one 7 pin green plug).

The car has the VICS module installed (picks up current traffic issues in Japan only, see VICS info. It is not plugged in though (16 pin black plug).

I don't think my car had nav fitted as it is not on the option list I got from BMW for my VIN and the luggage compartment door does not have the cutout for the NAV CD module.

However, if I understand what I've read correctly I can simply plug in a Japanese Nav CD module and the system will all operate (in Japanese without NZ maps). I have played with a workmates 2000 528i who has this ex-Japan.

I would need to get a later model radio module and export NAV CD module (with NZ maps) for the system to work here. Correct?

My car was produced 11/99 so I believe it had the Mk II NAV system.

Richard

Well I've been digging, the options on these things are damn complex.

My car has a black squarish plug and a flat white plug at the top of the LH rear wheel arch. Harness 61128377438 is plugged into it and goes nowhere (One 20 pin black plug and one 7 pin green plug).

The car has the VICS module installed (picks up current traffic issues in Japan only, see VICS info. It is not plugged in though (16 pin black plug).

I don't think my car had nav fitted as it is not on the option list I got from BMW for my VIN and the luggage compartment door does not have the cutout for the NAV CD module.

However, if I understand what I've read correctly I can simply plug in a Japanese Nav CD module and the system will all operate (in Japanese without NZ maps). I have played with a workmates 2000 528i who has this ex-Japan.

I would need to get a later model radio module and export NAV CD module (with NZ maps) for the system to work here. Correct?

My car was produced 11/99 so I believe it had the Mk II NAV system.

Richard

Richard

The black & white plugs will be the nav plugs I mentioned.

I am sure your car would have had nav fitted & probably removed.

The nav unit in the Jap car houses in an enclosure under the rear shelf in the centre of the boot. The Euro spec car has it mounted in L/H rear corner.

Yes if you reinstalled a Jap nav unit & disc - you will get a map of Japan - rather useless here though

Yes you require eithe a CD or better, a DVD Euro spec nav unit to make the system operate here. Wiring differences though between Jap/Euro systems.

Don't require a later radio module - rather a Euro spec unit.

11/99 may have Jap DVD system 1 or II -my 04/99 had 1. Both essentially the same units though

Correct

And the new gen radio modules made after 2005 have native stereo AUX-IN capabilities (made for E46 but they fit the E39)

And can also display MP3 ID-Tags from the MP3 CD changer or CP600BMW