Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

brake problem - e30 1990 325i

Have picked up a 1990 325i SA spec e30 which has been sitting for a couple of years. Brakes are stuck on about 20% and the pedal is quite close to the floor with poor response. Pedal can be lifted back up into position so its like there is low fuild pressure but fluid is between min and max. Idle is pretty good considering, around 800 rpm with a very slight surge but not enough to move the tacho. I would appreciate some advice on likely probs or sensible starting points. What is the mechanism that releases the pad from the rotor? Booster? Cheers

If it's been sitting a while it could be a combination of things. Sticking caliper / old perished brake lines / failed booster etc.

Perhaps flush the brake fluid with some nice new stuff and go from there.

If it's been sitting a while it could be a combination of things. Sticking caliper / old perished brake lines / failed booster etc.

Perhaps flush the brake fluid with some nice new stuff and go from there.

Thanks for that, just starting to have a poke around. The pedal comed up slightly as engine starts and booster comes comes on but have removed panel above pedal and found some wacky job with cable ties holding on what looks like the brake switch..................TBA

Thanks for that, just starting to have a poke around. The pedal comed up slightly as engine starts and booster comes comes on but have removed panel above pedal and found some wacky job with cable ties holding on what looks like the brake switch..................TBA

Well, all four calipers looking rusted and full of spiders. Tried to loosen up each corner with some sucess. Bled system and pedal has improved but not coming right up- is below level of brake switch so lights are always on...road test gave improved brake response but still only 70% also the pedal needs to be lifted up a couple of inches after each braking to release brakes. If i remove the calipers will i be able to tell the diff' between the caliper pins or the pistons sticking? Do pads deteriorate with age? Am thinking of rebuilding calipers........ Comments please.

take the calipers out and look at the piston. if its rusty or stuck. best to lube it up and try and compress it in. had this on my civic piston was shot as it was sitting far too long in the garage. even the compress would not budge the stuck piston.

Am thinking of rebuilding calipers

^^