Sign in to follow this  
Mhiggins

e30 electical fault

I have a fault with my e30, when i turn on my headlights the check light comes up for my tail lights and licence plate lights. On closer inspection the fuse for my right hand side tail lights, licence plate lights and instrument lights is blown. I keen replacing the fuse as there seems to be no noticeable problems with the lights but the fuse keeps blowing.

Has anyone had the same problem?? Or can any point me in the right direction to fix the fault?? i took it to a auto electrician and $60 later it is still not fixed so any advice will be appreciated.

If the fuse keeps blowing i'd assume somethings shorting...

Not much help, just check all the wiring still has its insulation around it, look for discoloured brittle insulation and if you find some make sure you heat shrink or if you don't want to cut the wire, insulation tape/electrical tape will work fine..

"Scotch Super 33+" is excellent tape, line mechanics use it on all LV and HV stuff and it stays in place through all weather

does your car have a towbar?

does your car have a towbar?

No it doesn't have a towbar, its only just started happening since i had an alarm put in and a new headunit, amp and speakers but i cant see how they would have any effect on the tail lights blowing fuses??

No it doesn't have a towbar, its only just started happening since i had an alarm put in and a new headunit, amp and speakers but i cant see how they would have any effect on the tail lights blowing fuses??

does your alarm flash your headlights or your indicators? either way i would say theres your problem there

did you get your alarm put in "professionally?"

Edited by ethrty320

does your alarm flash your headlights or your indicators? either way i would say theres your problem there

did you get your alarm put in "professionally?"

It flashes the indicators, not the headlights. The alarm was installed by a professional installer.

I took it back to him and he seems to think there isn't anything wrong with the alarm install but maybe ill take it back and make him look again.

does it blow when you put the fuse in, when you switch on the lights (get someone to watch it as you pull the light switch and see if they can see the flash as the fuse blows) or after the lights have been on a while? all are signs of a short, the first is before the switch, the second two would be after the switch with the first suggesting a constant short, probably at the taillights. and the second one could be a wire dangling/moving around as the car moves and eventually shorting out on another piece of metal

FYI the wiring runs along the passengers side of the car next to the subframe/chassis rail then up the back seat wall, into the boot around the left hand lip and the loom splits off into the left and right in the left rear corner of the car.

Edit: After rereading your posts, the tail lights are wired independantly thats why one side can blow and the other is fine, and also the instrument cluster is on a different curcuit to the taillights.. are you saying more than one fuse is blown/blowing or not?

Edited by ethrty320

does it blow when you put the fuse in, when you switch on the lights (get someone to watch it as you pull the light switch and see if they can see the flash as the fuse blows) or after the lights have been on a while? all are signs of a short, the first is before the switch, the second two would be after the switch with the first suggesting a constant short, probably at the taillights. and the second one could be a wire dangling/moving around as the car moves and eventually shorting out on another piece of metal

FYI the wiring runs along the passengers side of the car next to the subframe/chassis rail then up the back seat wall, into the boot around the left hand lip and the loom splits off into the left and right in the left rear corner of the car.

Edit: After rereading your posts, the tail lights are wired independantly thats why one side can blow and the other is fine, and also the instrument cluster is on a different curcuit to the taillights.. are you saying more than one fuse is blown/blowing or not?

ok ill have a look but im sure the fuse blows as soon as you turn on the lights, also the fuse that blows has 3circuits on it the instrument lights, licence plate lights and the right hand side tail lights. I have double checked this on the cars manual and it tells me the same thing. so it is only the one fuse that blows when the lights are switched on..

^^ weird. my cluster is on the same curcuit as my stereo/fan/clock and my lights still worked when all that blew when i did my stereo. E30s are a bit dodgy like that haha

E30's are not dodgy at all... a very simple car to repair if you have the right gear , information (specifications) KNOWLEDGE, and do everything properly.

+ 1 ^^^^^^^ To be honest - unless you know what to look for - best see a sparky with knowledge to check it.

Is it a constant short? If so - shouldn't be to hard to find. If intermittent then yes - more of a challenge.

The system has already given you a head start by isolating left to right.

E30's are not dodgy at all... a very simple car to repair if you have the right gear , information (specifications) KNOWLEDGE, and do everything properly.

knew you would have something to say about my post. Can you explain why my car does that? Ive heard of lots of wierd wiring issues in E30s of seemingly unrelated circuits both dying off the one fuse. My indicators died when my glovebox light shorted out and everything else was fine. I know how to diagnose electrical stuff... ive wired Dads whole 4x4 up, done two years at school of electronics, and am studying Auto Electrical next year <_<

Can you explain why my car does that?

Not without checking it for you... which is impossible as you live in Welly... fancy a drive ??

All the issues with my E30's wiring is because knob-jobs in the past diddn't install things properly.

All the issues with my E30's wiring is because knob-jobs in the past diddn't install things properly.

Thats alot what I have to deal with... undo all the crap thats been done first before I can work on it or get to the "actual" problem

You should see how the "professionally" fitted towbar is on my car.

Lovely little horrible blue wire joiner things.

You should see how the "professionally" fitted towbar is on my car.

Lovely little horrible blue wire joiner things.

NOT done by me then. Lost count of how many times over the years I have traced trailer light faults back to those things in the car.

NOT done by me then. Lost count of how many times over the years I have traced trailer light faults back to those things in the car.

Would've been a company in Christchurch I would think, as that's where the car was imported first.

Dunno who in their right mind would fit a frigin towbar to an E30.

Not without checking it for you... which is impossible as you live in Welly... fancy a drive ??

im in auckland next week actually! But i put in a new loom when i put my uncraked dash in and now pretty much everything works. Should have seen my 316i when i took the dash out of that. was wiring for about 3 head units behind there, and you could turn the headunit on without the key in, and the PO decided to run the cables to the Subwoofers right next to the fuel lines under the back seat. there are some dodgy characters out there!

Dunno who in their right mind would fit a frigin towbar to an E30.

Prerequisite in my case? ;P