Sign in to follow this  
notec

Going to buy an Audi A3

Hey guys

Im considering selling up my Honda Civic and going to the euroside, im really keen on buying this Audi A3:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=263917208 as my budget is around that much.

Now my questions are what are the major maintenance costs involved with audis? Hows the availability and cost with parts ? and personal experiences with audis more specifically the a3 in general.

I have a hatch 2001 Civic so sizewise im assuming it would be about the same. but cost wise :wacko:

Thanks

Laura

One of my Dads mates just got one and they are gutless. Servicing will be the same as most euro places... Expensive!

They're just a VW Golf in fancy clothes. The 1.8 turbo cars go alright but are known to have turbo problems. Parts won't be hard to source, but you'll be paying a bit more for servicing and maintenance than a Jappa because that's just what happens.

You'll get some good advice over at the VASK forums. vask.org.nz

Now my questions are what are the major maintenance costs involved with audis? Hows the availability and cost with parts ? and personal experiences with audis more specifically the a3 in general.

The most critical thing with these are cambelts and the type of auto trans they have. Cambelts must be done every 120k or every 5 years. The 5 year period is critical irrespective of mileage. Even at 50k. Turbo models should have the turbo oil supply line changed every 5 years as well

If you get serious Laura... get me to check it for you.

What about a 318ti? same sort of thing, but... BMW? (the twincam ones are chaindrive I think)

But if you're set on the A3, Get Glenn to check it out first :)

All Compact of that vintage ('98-ish) should be chain-driven. Hence less hassle trying to remember the last cam-belt change.