Sign in to follow this  
535er

E34 Electrics Problem

Hi guys

Just recently purchased a new E34 (pics up soon) and it seems to have a few problems.

1) headlights only work on 1 side (high beam & dip) = fuses and bulbs fine

2) when you only select park to run the driving lights, left headlight lights up very dim

3) no dash cluster lights what so ever including center dash the lot when you turn the lights on = fuses fine

4) dash puts out really weird digits on the display and no back light, well very dim anyways

5) with the heater, only getting heat to the passengers side of the car and not the drivers

Could the main problem be the light control module and where is it located????

Hope use can help me out!!!

Replace the light control module and heater control valve. Can supply both.

LKM module in the fuse box left side behind front strut.

heater tap needs to be replaced , on the fire wall left side .(maybe you can pull it apart & clean it out )

instrament cluster most likely has lots of bulbs blown and also faulty digital display , dry joints , bad capacitors .

replace with another , just check what year and colour the back of it is .

Replace the light control module and heater control valve. Can supply both.

ok, have replaced LCM to no avail, although I do seem to have my right headlight back but not the right high beam, and that's with trying 2 replacement LCM's. Still don't have dash and console lights either when I turn my lights on.

Also still doing that annoying dim with the headlight but now the right side wants to join in when you have them on park.

LKM module in the fuse box left side behind front strut.

heater tap needs to be replaced , on the fire wall left side .(maybe you can pull it apart & clean it out )

instrament cluster most likely has lots of bulbs blown and also faulty digital display , dry joints , bad capacitors .

replace with another , just check what year and colour the back of it is .

ok, have replaced LCM to no avail, although I do seem to have my right headlight back but not the right high beam, and that's with trying 2 replacement LCM's. Still don't have dash and console lights either when I turn my lights on.

Also still doing that annoying dim with the headlight but now the right side wants to join in when you have them on park.

Is it possible to transfer odometer reading from one to another?

Edited by 535er

depends on year , some early e34 have the millage chip in the loom plug in the bacj of the cluster , so when you change the cluster the millage stays with the car , later ones about 1989 onwards , millage chip is in the cluster so will change the millage when you swap a cluster over