Sign in to follow this  
anubiz

Extended warranty for E46 M3

Guest Ari Gold

FYI should any of you want one - it is quite expensive, but when you look at the possibility of say a gearbox failure and you'd be looking at minimum $10,000 just to replace it.

This is inevitably going to sound a bit elitist or snobbery - but people forget that most of these cars are about 7+ years old and just because they've become a little more affordable to the masses doesn't detract from the fact that it'll possibly now cost a bit more to maintain them in prestine condition and will no doubt cost an arm and a leg to repair should anything major have a catastrophic failure.

There's always an associated risk when buying something like a M - there being a lack of competition in the market for mechanical warranties on the likes of it also dictates the sort of terms you see above - whlist it won't cover a brand new engine, it'll certainly be enough for you to source an used one from off shore and possibly just enough to have it put it.

$2850 AND a $10k limit per claim is robbery (before you get started on what is excluded). It should be one or the other.

All good points, and it sums up the argument nicely. At the end of the day, they're still a 150K car and as such, you can expect repair bills to reflect this. Hell, an S38 rebuild is still going to set you back 15K, and they haven't been used in a car for 15 years now!

All good points, and it sums up the argument nicely. At the end of the day, they're still a 150K car and as such, you can expect repair bills to reflect this. Hell, an S38 rebuild is still going to set you back 15K, and they haven't been used in a car for 15 years now!

which is why I brought a 540i, I could afford the E34 M5 upfront, but not to fix it. (I have a mechanical warranty for those thinking a 540i wont be much cheaper)

I understand the original OP has purchased the vehicle and was told its one of the best examples they have seen.. It also was sold with a new warranty called "Link" ( Marac ) I hope the OP continues to enjoy his new purchase :D