Sign in to follow this  
bretta

Car won't Start E36 323i

Car: 1997 E36 323i Sedan Auto with M52 Vanos Motor (Jap import).

Problem: About 800 m from home yesterday, a/c stopped cooling (motor was running fine). This morning, car wouldn't fire into life. (Had to cycle to work - better for health anyway :D )

Motor turns over (slowly), but makes "wheezing/whirring" kind of noise.

Checked a/c belt, and this appears ok (i.e unbroken).

I couldn't check further as was by myself and could turn over motor while watching belt, etc.

I have had similar problem with Nissan Maxima in past and it was the "diodes" in the altenator causing noise and non starting of car.

I am looking at checking fuses when I get home this afternoon, and hopefully will be able to ceck if a/c and altenator are turning.

Any suggestions as to likely problem? I realise it is difficult to suggest anything with scanty info, but would like to get ideas to try, or gather more information, when I'm not running late for work.

Cheers

Jump start it with battery pack or jumper leads...then check the charge rate. Should be about 14 Volts + or - .2.

If thats OK ...fit a new battery... if it wont start when you jump it, the ignition switch and starter will need to be checked, if you have the right tool to do this ... a multimeter

Edited by *Glenn*

Jump start it with battery pack or jumper leads...then check the charge rate. Should be about 14 Volts + or - .2.

If thats OK ...fit a new battery... if it wont start when you jump it, the ignition switch and starter will need to be checked, if you have the right tool to do this ... a multimeter

Cheers Glenn. I should have also said that after a/c stopped cooling and I arrived home, there was a (faint) smell similar to burnt electrical components, etc - didn't have time at that stage to investigate further, unfortunately.

Cheers Glenn. I should have also said that after a/c stopped cooling and I arrived home, there was a (faint) smell similar to burnt electrical components, etc - didn't have time at that stage to investigate further, unfortunately.

Check alternator belt & charge rate first if it will start by jumping it

Check alternator belt & charge rate first if it will start by jumping it

Will do, Cheers

i had a ac pump clutch burn up on my 325i a few years back , ac stoped working and i noticed a plastic buring smell

, just swap the ac pump over for another used one and had it regased etc

i had a ac pump clutch burn up on my 325i a few years back , ac stoped working and i noticed a plastic buring smell

, just swap the ac pump over for another used one and had it regased etc

Cheers for that inf. I jumped the car, but it made no difference. However, after turning motor over for about 30 seconds in about 3 bursts, the pully in middle bottom was very hot. I presume this is water pump, with a/c compressor on left,and altenator on the right (looking from front) (and belt tensioner between middle and right).

Should water pump turn freely if belt is loosened?

Cheers, Brett

Cheers for that inf. I jumped the car, but it made no difference. However, after turning motor over for about 30 seconds in about 3 bursts, the pully in middle bottom was very hot. I presume this is water pump, with a/c compressor on left,and altenator on the right (looking from front) (and belt tensioner between middle and right).

Should water pump turn freely if belt is loosened?

Cheers, Brett

Yes it should... ring me 021921377

Yes it should... ring me 021921377

Hi Glenn. I just had an assistant, and all pulleys seem to be turning. It almost wants to go, so maybe another problem. Can I call tomorrow morning about 9:00am? Thanks, Brett

Hi Glenn. I just had an assistant, and all pulleys seem to be turning. It almost wants to go, so maybe another problem. Can I call tomorrow morning about 9:00am? Thanks, Brett

You can call any time on my mobile... I dont work on weekends though

Thanks Glenn and Brent.

I managed to disconnect the a/c belt, and car started ok - so a/c clutch was problem. Now, to get the unit replaced!

Fortunately, I have a replacement driver's window lifter coming today (so I can fit this to have a bit more ventilation coming through!), but that is another story :) . Looks like it will be out with the grinder to remove old mounting bushings, unless someone else has a better method.

Once again, thanks to the above 2 guys.

Cheers, Brett

Yup those window regulators are a bitch to change out, That's why i just dropped mine off to the service center with a decent one from Brent and said ring me when its done :)