Sign in to follow this  
Docile

m50 needs gasket replaced

anyone done it before and can tell me what i need and any special tools?

cylinder 6 got a oil leak on the spark plug gasket and will need replacing. will be replace the valve cover gasket as well.

thanks for the help :D

Just a whole heap of 10mm bolts. You will need to remove the cover, then coil packs, then the valve cover. There are 2 sets of sparkplug gaskets. One for the front 3 cylinders, and 1 for the back 3.

They all come with the valve cover gasket as a set (1 valve cover gasket, plus the 2 sets of sprakplug gaskets). $45 from Gavin.

Just a whole heap of 10mm bolts. You will need to remove the cover, then coil packs, then the valve cover. There are 2 sets of sparkplug gaskets. One for the front 3 cylinders, and 1 for the back 3.

They all come with the valve cover gasket as a set (1 valve cover gasket, plus the 2 sets of sprakplug gaskets). $45 from Gavin.

1/2 right... You also need to replace the RC bolt seals. These tension the valve cover down as well as sealing, to maintain pressure on the valve cover gaskets.

RC bolt seals? what those look like? are those like the rubber grommet on the bolts?

RC bolt seals? what those look like? are those like the rubber grommet on the bolts?

Yes.. RC=Rocker cover. Technically its a CC= Cam cover as there are no rocker arms or shafts

Edited by *Glenn*

Yes.. RC=Rocker cover. Technically its a CC= Cam cover as there are no rocker arms or shafts

It is actually a cylinder head cover if you want to be really picky.

i'll go see Gavin if he has those.

anything else i need to do?

i dont have to take out the oil right? i just did an oil change a couple of weeks ago :(

what's the tightening torque on the bolts?

Edited by Docile

It is actually a cylinder head cover if you want to be really picky.

Obviously you read ETK.. yes they call it a cylinder head cover in ETK or TIS, comonly known as a a cam cover...but definately not a rocker cover... if you want to be picky

i dont have to take out the oil right? i just did an oil change a couple of weeks ago :(

what's the tightening torque on the bolts?

No and 10Nm

... if you want to be picky

Actually, not picky, just correct!

Actually, not picky, just correct!

Nothing better to do ??? :o I stand corrected then :D

Now get back outside and fit that crankcase ventilator valve I got you :P.... ooops... "pressure regulating valve" (so I don't get corrected again.... I checked ETK)

Edited by *Glenn*

Nothing better to do ??? :o

Have much to do but need to make sure that the youth are not mislead by incorrect terminology. Referring to an item by the incorrect name only leads to confusion in the long run.

just got the damn cover off today... sore back!!!..

note for next time: never do it when you have the front on jack stands and trying to undo the back ones near the firewall.

edit: oh and there is some sort of sealant on the valve cover gasket. do i need to put additional sealant? if so what?

Edited by Docile