Sign in to follow this  
APT

Running Rich and Hard Starting.

Recently i have noticed my car has been smelling of petrol on start up and my gas consumption has gone really bad.. I have replaced the fuel filter done a full oil change, spark plugs i have also changed to using 98 petrol if that makes any difference. Any other ideas on why my car could be running rich ?

Secondly, my car has also been hard starting it turns over but just does not fire until the third go. I have changed the battery with three different fully working batteries and its all the same, batteries still hold charge so im guessing its not my alternator causing my battery to go flat. Could it be the Starter ? or fuel pump? is there any way to test these ?

Thanks Guys just want to get my car running fine again :wacko: i love e30's

fuel pressure regulator has failed , check the vac hose that goes into it should not have fuel in it .

or failed engine temp sensor (the one fro the ecu) or checked that its plugged in properly

Thanks Brent is that a possible solution for both of my problems ?

Thanks Brent is that a possible solution for both of my problems ?

if the engine is being over fueled it will be hard to start , especially when the engine is hot .

when the car is running unplug the engine temp sensor and see if it makes the engine run worse , if not then that could be teh problem .

also check that fuel pressure reg if they fail it will be sqirtting more fuel in than should be .

also how is your air filter is it a std paper one , or a k&n style thing make sure you clean that out or replace it

You are the man Brent !! unplugged the vacuum hose when the engine was running and drips of fuel started spitting out - Fixed the lumpy idle, its at straight 800ish now. Also turned the car off and started it with the vacuum hose off the throttle body and started. Started first click.

Guess i got a stuffed FPR huh ? lol thanks again man.

the bill's in the mail :rolleyes:

i have some fpr avaible if needed