Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Did i cook the water pump or not ?

Hey guys

Had a blonde moment, have to do it once in a life time, i was rushing filling my coolant up, and had to rush out the gate, forgot to put the radiator cap on, so during the drive at some point all the collant was emptied out, i noticed when i pulled to a stop and steam was every where.

The temperature gauge did not over heat, didnt really creep above half,

now there is water gushing from the water pump area

Do you think i cooked the water pump seal ??

O and good news i suppose is i still have the radiator cap, so thats a win

LOL almost happened to me too.. but luckily i remember. was about to get out of the driveway when "oh sh*t forgot to put it back on"

but is it cooked lol ? will heat cook the rubber seal in the water pump ? i suspect it was already seeping before the "incident"

Yea i'd say its fried your seal mine crapped itself just before christmas just from wear and tear cos it wasnt replaced when the cambelt was done

how would you describe "gushing out". if its like a constant stream probably the rubber seal has gave way. take it out and inspect.

how long were you driving it? if i was you, i would likely replace it dont want to risk the engine being cooked coz of a $100 part. check the pipes, and other seals, check thermostat, check oil as well for coolant contamination.

but apart from that..wait for glenn.. he the pro :D

but apart from that..wait for glenn.. he the pro :D

Glenn, yes, pro ! haha, well under closer inspection, when i realised i can finally see the waterpump seep hole, thank GOSH !!! its just the water pump, got lucky again, never the less, this should be on the fail blog, for a semi automotive onto it guy, leaving radiator cap off. Fail

i doubt it would have blown a hole/melted the seal etc on this occassion. likely there was already a leak that was exagerated by this. that said depending on where your temp sender for your gauges is, it wouldnt register hotter temperatures than normal hence the half way when it might be more than that

i doubt it would have blown a hole/melted the seal etc on this occassion. likely there was already a leak that was exagerated by this. that said depending on where your temp sender for your gauges is, it wouldnt register hotter temperatures than normal hence the half way when it might be more than that

i think you are correct here, there was a slow leak, initially i thought it was the radiator, i couldnt see where it was coming from, but i figured out that it was leaking most when hot, yet every time i looked under i saw nothing. And on one occassion before the incident saw water dripping from around the water pump. So yes, the incident would have most certainly put the final nail in the water pumps coffin. could you explain further on what you said about the temperature ? are you indicating that it may have actually got really hot, but not registered ? thats mainly what im worried about

i think you are correct here, there was a slow leak, initially i thought it was the radiator, i couldnt see where it was coming from, but i figured out that it was leaking most when hot, yet every time i looked under i saw nothing. And on one occassion before the incident saw water dripping from around the water pump. So yes, the incident would have most certainly put the final nail in the water pumps coffin. could you explain further on what you said about the temperature ? are you indicating that it may have actually got really hot, but not registered ? thats mainly what im worried about

yeah. the sender for the gauges is right on the top of the engine so coz the water was below the right level it might have been regestering air/steam rather than water. dont take that as true but thats my guess what happened and why the guage read at half. E30 t/stats havent been known to be overly reliable at the best of times anyway mind.

^^

This is how i blew up my M20B20 LOL.

Another fail ? with forgetting to put radiator cap on ?

The only things i know,

is that it got awfully hot in there / steamy, e.g. was about a 3 hour cool down till i could touch the rocker cover. It melted the rubber on the distributor cap, but that was because how close it was to the exhaust headers.

How ever i think i got lucky, very very lucky, ive been starting it, and its fine, no bubbles / signs of head gasket problems.

It was my 4age engine, i would never forgive my self if i put my m20 motor through that

smell of coolant steaming is a no no LOL ..

you should replace your T stat as well. and check hoses.

Another fail ? with forgetting to put radiator cap on ?

I think I put it on wrong, and it popped out (theres a ding in the heat shield) and I was booting up a giant hill... (way out of town...) got to the top and steam was pouring out....

turns out ALL the water escaped the engine, tried to fill it back up with water I had in the boot... (temp gauge sat in the middle) then it sezed and stopped whilst I was trying to get home...

then nommy chocolate sawce came out ;)

I think I put it on wrong, and it popped out (theres a ding in the heat shield) and I was booting up a giant hill... (way out of town...) got to the top and steam was pouring out....

turns out ALL the water escaped the engine, tried to fill it back up with water I had in the boot... (temp gauge sat in the middle) then it sezed and stopped whilst I was trying to get home...

then nommy chocolate sawce came out ;)

lol isnt it a 101 NO NO, to attempt to refill the coolant system at those temperatures, i would even debate it if the car is running still, i think i got lucky, because i just park the car up and went hmmm, may come back in several hours. Ive heard of many cases where people get away with it, because steam is just enough to keep the temperature from warping the head, but when they put cold water in it cracks the head severely.

smell of coolant steaming is a no no LOL ..

you should replace your T stat as well. and check hoses.

yeah the thermostat is not going to be very happy with what happened