Sign in to follow this  
charles28

320i E30 ECU Chip

I chucked a Speedtouch (from e30zone) chip in the 320i auto before, it actually made a difference, the car has more go, not alot more, but its noticable, more responsive down low.. was 30pounds incl shipping to nz, only thing was 1/2 the pins were bent, he sent it to me in an envelope.. no problem for me as I work in IT anyway.. and changing chips etc is 2nd nature :).

I purchased this chip in hope of gaining better fuel economy more then the claimed 7-11hp, so will see how that works out and report back.

How hard are they to put in ?

Its pretty easy, 10min job, its basically taking one chip out and replacing it with another.

the ecu is held in place by 10mm bolts, then pull the silver retaining clip forwards and the ECU plug will be removed.

To get inside the ECU requires bending up the retaining clips, then the top cover will come away.

The chip you change is on a small raised socket, you can gently lever it out with a flathead screw driver.

Edited by Charles28

You really need to do a before and after dyno to see the real evidence.

I have tried a couple of the e30zone chips and the dyno results were a rather significant reduction to hp and torque.

After a few emails and sending the chips back with the dyno print outs Ant stopped responding and the chips "went missing". Pretty shitty actually.

Edited by pando

Yea on that note... I heard they do things like change the shifting points etc etc, so you feel like your going faster, but your power/ torque actually suffers.