Sign in to follow this  
fourkingz

318i Run on/dieseling problems

Hello all, yes a newbie, my 94 318i M43 engine car is embarrasing me to no end. I am having a run- on /dieseling problem. I turn the ignition off, and yes it still runs-on shudders shakes, I start sinking in the seat from pure shame, and have resorted to wearing dark glasses. This problem mainly happens when the car has been running for a bit, but lately he has also been happening after 5/ 10 min of driving. I was using 91 but am now using 95 to see if that helps!. It also has a erratic idle, we have cleaned the ICV, gave it an oil change, and new spark plugs, but E36 haka is still happening. My partner is suggesting I should sell it, I suggested he jump off a bridge. Question: Could a shut off valve cause this problem as well I have trolled so many BMW websites for the solution, my teenager also asks for your help as I'm hogging the internet for a solution. :wacko:

Hi and welcome to the site, one of our more experience technicians will answer your query shortly

Good that you have tried searching before posting

Edited by pando

Hi and welcome to the site, one of our more experience technicians will answer your query shortly

Good that you have tried searching before posting

Thank you for quick response, I love my car even though it is chroming (grey) out my hair colour.

Check the breather hose off the rocker cover at the back of the motor. If the hose is fine it could be the crankcase ventilator valve diaphram. With the engine running release the oil filler cap. If you have trouble lifting the oil filler cap, it will be due to the diaphram, causing too much crankcase vacuum. Will need a new valve. If that all seems fine, try using engine start around the inlet manifold checking for air leaks.

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will learn heaps on here. I am no mechanical expert but have you checked the air intake pipe for cracks etc, it seems to be a common problem. Perhaps you could also put in your profile where you are from so we can send you to the nearest expert.

BTW Glenn should be along shortly - he is our resident guru on BMW's :)

EDIT: He beat me to it

Edited by zenetti

Thanks Glenn, the breather hose was replaced in Nov as it had a large crack in it, and the crankcase, is that also know as a PCV Valve, that was replaced in October, I also had a knock sensor replaced as the other one had 3 cracks in it. I too, feel air is getting in somewhere as the exhaust smells like rotton eggs. Another Oxygen sensor was installed 3 weeks ago as well. I am stubbed.

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will learn heaps on here. I am no mechanical expert but have you checked the air intake pipe for cracks etc, it seems to be a common problem. Perhaps you could also put in your profile where you are from so we can send you to the nearest expert.

BTW Glenn should be along shortly - he is our resident guru on BMW's :)

EDIT: He beat me to it

Thanks for that, yes will update profile : )

You could always run it over to me to have a look. And yes PCV valve. Why did they replace oxygen sensor? because of the fault code ?. Oxy fault codes are normaly the result of something else not the oxy sensor itself.

The thread wore out on the oxygen sensor, and it popped out while driving on the motorway, another sunglasses moment, it might be easier if I tint the windows oh the shame. I would love to bring it to you, but the money situation is tighter than a Von Ditta Corset. I will tie up my hair, arm myself with a commando type spanner, Bentley Bible under arm, nice hot cup of caffine, and go a hunting for any air leaks, all with lip gloss on of course. Thanks Glen, but sometimes you have to have a laugh at stressful moments.

BTW: Welcome to the forum... I like your humour too...well... I hope its humour... the make up could be a bit of a worry :D

Edited by *Glenn*

BTW: Welcome to the forum... I like your humour too...well... I hope its humour... the make up could be a bit of a worry :D

+1 You've made me laugh twice in this thread which is more than the last week combined on Bimmersport!

Guest Simon*

Woohoo go Karen!

Welcome to the forum and don't worry, pics of Dita VT's corset and glossy lips aren't mandatory. Hope you sort your runaway 318 :D

OOops I missed the "Karen" bit in the profile... my opoligies Ma'am :rolleyes:

Was it there before ??

you can try and get it scanned see if it shows the problem.

when i had a vacuum problem on my car, scanned it, and it showed which cylinders were misfiring and rocking the car like mad. sprayed engine start around the hoses and found the crack. fixed it. reset the error and it purrs like new again.

edit: good to have you on board.

Edited by Docile

Check your fuel tank ventilation valve is not sticking open, I have seen these valves fail before then the engine runs on the vapours being sucked through from the tank after ignition being switched off.

Check your fuel tank ventilation valve is not sticking open, I have seen these valves fail before then the engine runs on the vapours being sucked through from the tank after ignition being switched off.

Thats what we found wrong with it today when I checked it for Karen :D Good call on your part though... wanna job ??

Thats what we found wrong with it today when I checked it for Karen :D Good call on your part though... wanna job ??

I dont come cheap ha ha...I can pedal a bike to work at the moment and east auck is a bit too far.

I dont come cheap ha ha...I can pedal a bike to work at the moment and east auck is a bit too far.

About time you updated your profile with first name & location please :P