Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Reducing the size of the rear spare tire/battery well

Hi guys,

I'm curious, can you cut the rear well of a car, say make it 1/2 the depth if I took it to a professional engineering shop to cut out and re-weld it to the required specifications, obviously it would mean a narrower tire would have to be fitted and take up some boot space and the battery would have to sit higher. But the question is can it be done and certified, along with being WOF passable? Or is this also a structural thing you cant touch?

The reason is to make space for a custom rear dual exhaust setup. Unfortunately there just is not enough room.

Let me know. Cheers

It is no doubt possible. But your best to get the info and answer directly from a certifier.

A mate of mine had completely removed his to install a drop fuel tank. It was certified.

A spare tyre is no longer a WOF requirement. So I'm fairly sure that side of things is fine. The modifications to the body only have to be certified if it 's structural. Talk to an LVV certifier - they'll tell you exactly what you can/can't do, and how to go about it.

Click here to download a list of LVV certifiers in your area.

Can I recommend Mark Stokes. He's quite sympathetic and will usually sit down with you and explain exactly what you can and can't do and the best way to go about making the modifications you want to make.

Edited by C0SM0S