Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Looking at buying this... worth it?

One of my grandads drinking buddies said he had this.. said he wanted 750 for it, but I think it's worth a bit less...

Rego on hold, hasn't had a WoF since 2007 (but looking at carjam, it hasn't traveled any more than 100km since it got that last WoF)

Body looks nice, had a pool of water in the boot.. lol.. I think it was fairly recent though.. as couldn't find any rust..

but, the biggest issue with it is... the oil in the motor is old and looks terribad, but it's filled with terribad oil (so it's possibly just real old?) theres a tomato sauce bottle as the overflow for the radiator (this made me lol)

and it shoots out clouds of white smoke (that look like clouds) dad reckons the engine has been overheated at some stage... but I'm not sure...

Drove nicely, smooth enough shocks seemed fine, it stopped fine.. no knocks or anything.

I'm tempted to offer 500 bucks and take it as is and see if it's just old oil/needs serviced.

also the Tach/Econometer don't work.

Here's some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Would like to hear some input ;)

Oh, and it's a M10B18 Auto.

Edited by antil33t

looks like a bit of a paperweight tbh, unless you were parting it. 1.8 auto pfl.

possible m50 swap? :D could even chuck your old m20 in there?

I was going to buy it, repair the muffler (needs for WoF) clean it and sell it for moar... It'd make a mint project car.. I agree.

I'd buy it for a project, but got no room :(

I could still part it... though.

Edited by antil33t

Could have a blown head gasket / cracked head....

That's the problem. I'm gonna offer 500 bucks.. if not. I'll leave it. I think I could still make 500 parting it out.

Have a look around at what similar condition 318i's are worth. If they are going for more, offer the $500. Spend a couple of hundred tidying it up, wof n reg and you might get $1500 for it :) Then rinse and repeat on another vehicle ;)

I'm not sure I'd pay $500 for it even if it was running fine. But that's just me. A few years ago I bought a 525e for $500 and it was pretty damn tidy. I did nothing to it, and sold it a small profit.