Sign in to follow this  
uchigatana

e36 6 cylinder plastic engine fan protector problem

<_< I just ran into this problem yesterday with my 325i and it has completely destroyed my engine fan ripping all the blades off the fan without warning.

So I am stuck in Cambridge until Monday.....because of this unseen problem.

Allright,

The Plastic shield above the engine fan in your 6 cylinder e36 is a weakness and as far am I can see so is the e36 plastic engine fan in the M50's(I do not know if you can purchase a metal engine fan for these motor's)

The plastic shield attached above the engine fan beside the radiator tank is crap plastic......It will crack then melt or breakaway and fall into your engine fan while running and completely destroy your engine fan causing balance problems and ripping blades off and it may take the radiator hose with it. Causing overheating which is never a good thing with the M50 engines.

I urge you to cut the plastic shield off and dispose off this to completely avoid this problem and a silly $200 fix.

Posted Image

Sorry... that is really bad advice.. The top part of the radiator shroud supports the bypass hose to the expansion tank, and the expansion tank. Fix it properly with a new shroud.

Most of these failures occur due to lack of maintanence by people who don't know what they are doing. You drive an older car that needs proper care by people who know, to prevent this from happening... sure you can do it yourself... but research the problems and check the known problems and be very carefull what you read and I hope you understand what to look for. I'm sorry to say your advice is completely wrong and would cause people greif if they followed it.

Edited by *Glenn*

I've reopened this thread for the OP to explain in more detail at his request

I do not agree with removing the shroud from the radiator. The shroud is not expensive to replace with a new one. It supports the expansion tank and bypass hose.

I cannot agree with this suggestion by the OP:

"I urge you to cut the plastic shield off and dispose off this to completely avoid this problem and a silly $200 fix."

Edited by *Glenn*

I urge you to cut the plastic shield off and dispose off this to completely avoid this problem and a silly $200 fix.

Bugger that, for the sake of your fingers if nothing else.

Pillock.

Plus the shroud is there for a reason - to make sure the fan can do its job. I think people underestimate the importance of making sure airflow occurs properly.

first time i've heard of this problem... my fan shroud is still in tip top shape @ 245k

the top also holds the return line to the expansion tank. cut the top off and you will expose that hose and prob get shredded by the fan. and without the top bit.. the fan would be blowing air upwards towards to hood and not towards the engine

just bad maintenance by previous owner / current owner or bad luck.

Edited by Docile

The shrouds get brittle with age. They do give alot of problems and should be checked when servicing on all BMW's when they are 5 yrs old or older

Why go to all that trouble? A new shroud fixes it properly. Just normal maintanence...most shrouds cost around $100 new

Edited by *Glenn*

Sorry guys I never finished the thread +( It got locked before I had the chance to comment on the proper Instructions to fix it.

Please dont do this(Personal preferance improvement) untill I finish this thread fully with picture's of everything needed and what to do step by step. Unless you feel just my writen instructions are good enough.

(I repeat only do this fix if you like to DIY and just not worry about this as a possibility happening to you or are just looking to fix a broken shroud without having to find a replacement, which personaly I just finished spending $800 because the bracket cracked without warning and really badly destroyed my radiator and engine fan)

Alright.

Reasons people will argue to keep it.

Firstly the plastic offer's limited protection on the m50 engine fan and radiator and yes it will help airflow by a very small amount that is nearly irrelvant. (Untill the plastic itself actualy becomes the problem as in my case)

Secondly Yes the plastic hold's in place the coolant pipe to the expansion tank which is not a big deal if you have a few cable tie's. Also in my fix that I will post properly, after I take a few photo's of mine I will add pics and instructions on how to move the exspantion tank away from the fan and that pipe to a safer location for the sake of the fan not destroying your pipe and the engine fan itself not brakeing(As it is just plastic, Seriously can I get a metal one! if you do know of one please point me in the right direction).

Thirdly = "This may never happen to your car" I am sure it's just an unlucky instance of mine for freak accident sake, But it happened and it isnt all that un-common from what I've heard of this happening.

Instruction's on removing the part of the shroud that looks like a fan protector.

What you will need =

1)You will need a plastic cutter of some sort.

2)As many cable ties as you feel like, yet you are going to need a minimum of 5 to secure the pipe and the exspanstion tank. more the better really.

3) A custom bracket, This is not a nessasary but if you want to 110% guarantee the exspation tank is not going to move you will infact need to make as small holder, then bend it and put a hole into the bent peice and a screw or bolt to sit the exspantion tank on.

(This is not nessasary but precautionary)

4) You may or maynot need a longer coolant hose, please check if your coolant hose to the exspantion tank can extend further if you want to move that aswell elsewise do not worry about moving your exspantion tank you will just have to reattach it to the same place it was from..

How to =

A profestional way to do this would first be to remove the shroud to work on by itself then reattach the important exspantion tank end of the plastic as this will be nessasary for good placement of the tank.

(Be cautious of the pipe under it when removing it as you would not want to have to pull the pipe off and go through the processes of getting the air from the coolant system again)

There are two ways to cut the plastic once off. Simply cut the outline of the fan protector looking peice off or simply cut the fan protector section off at both points where it begins to rise on the plastic, this will leave you with two peices of plastic(Both important as that will be apparent)

Re-attach the peices of shroud back(Of course not including the former middle peice) and move the now easily movable exspantion tank further away from the fan to create more movement room for the engine fan. Secure with the cable ties and place the custom made holder in place so now all you will need to do is cable tie the hose higher untill you feel it is going to be safe from the fan indefinitly with as many cable ties you want really(Three will probably do it.)

I will improve the guide in a few days with photo instructions aswell of my fix.

"I urge you to cut the plastic shield off and dispose off this to completely avoid this problem and a silly $200 fix."

Thank's and "Sorry" Glen for not writing this out correctly to begin with.

I hope this will help as I wish there was a guide about this before It happended :unsure:

Why go to all that trouble? A new shroud fixes it properly. Just normal maintanence...most shrouds cost around $100 new

Why bother having to pay $100 or leaving a vanurability in my car = weakness is not tolerated lol.

A professional way to do this would be to replace it with a new piece.

A professional way to do this would be to replace it with a new piece.

Why would you want to risk a re-occurance? But you are correct a professional will always recommend just replace it. They make more money that way..... It doesnt actualy fix the problem, But each to his own :rolleyes:

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Edited by westy

Why would you want to risk a re-occurance? But you are correct a professional will always recommend just replace it. They make more money that way..... It doesnt actualy fix the problem, But each to his own :rolleyes:

BMW built the car with the part, so the correct way to fix the problem is with a replacment part.The thing is is that plastic gets brittle and breaks.

So unless you no more/have built and designed more cars than BMW then I would STFU

Edited by braeden.

BMW built in with the part, so the correct way to fix the problem is with a replacment part.

Unless you no more/have built and designed more cars than BMW then I would STFU

Well in your world BMW's are perfect and never have problem's aye? these cars were designed 20 years ago... this is 2010 and typicaly after 20 years you can see the problem's that occur with time and consequence, I mean this is what this topic is for?...geez...Anyway I made it clear that "You do not have to do this" and it is "Subject to personal preferance or your perception of "Correct"". Even Glen has already said the plastic gets brittle and break's, Im just trying to offer an affordable fix for those of a much much lesser budget or am I being persecuted for it? geez.....

Actualy I should just STFU and stop trying help pricewise. That way people will keep getting the idea that bmw's are exspensive and un-affordable for the lower income. Sorry for wasting my own time and the obviously very rich people in the bmw repair forum will then be happy.

Edited by VinceE

You are an idiot.

It's obviously there for a reason. My wind screen got a crack in it today, it is obviously weak.

Here is a how to on how to fix this problem.

-Take a hammer.

-Throw it at window.

Weakness is not tolerated.

You are an idiot.

It's obviously there for a reason. My wind screen got a crack in it today, it is obviously weak.

Here is a how to on how to fix this problem.

-Take a hammer.

-Throw it at window.

Weakness is not tolerated.

If I knew how to build you a better stronger windscreen .....I would tell you. And On that note you can get stronger windscreens.... If you want Ill research where to get it...its also lighter aswell(Performance is a added plus), it will probably cost a fair bit but if you want I can get you in touch with the right people....... And guess what BMW DOESNT MAKE THEM..surprise surprise....

I guess if you wanted to get rid of your old POS windscreen quickly you could do that(Not a recommended with the hammer thou, there are better ways to remove it)....What is wrong with people in this forum? Hit with the stupid stick at birth? *No offense to those who appreciate trying to make there bmw as good as it can get*

But why sink to that level. Your just bringing us all down with you.

Edited by VinceE

What is wrong with people in this forum? Hit with the stupid stick at birth?

Gold, coming from you.