Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

E34 530I VS 535I?

Now I know all the specs, but, not the real world difference. I'm not too fussed about the power side of things. The question is difference in driving, comfort, road noise, serviceing/common faults and petrol guzzling on the open road. I want opinions on either car from people with experience in either case.

I am really getting frustrated driving the hyundai [although I drive like a nanna.] as it just isn't as nice as my E34 was, but, mine was a 525i m20 and not really that much of a great car.

I'll have a Morris Minor [No laughing, I love them] soon to do my economical running around, but, don't want the Hyundai as the open road car.

Help!

530i v8 smoother , more ecnomical , 5 spd adaptive auto (can be a pain) , quieter ,more modern engine design . better later type leather seats , wood trim??

535i m30 6cyl more torque , more fuel , more 5spd manuals around , cheaper to fix engine (maybe) easier to work on the engine . more upgrades can be done to the engine , easy and cheapish to swap auto to manual.

maybe better handling (weight wise?)

dont bother with a early 530i m30 6cyl

530i v8 smoother , more ecnomical , 5 spd adaptive auto (can be a pain) , quieter ,more modern engine design . better later type leather seats , wood trim??

535i m30 6cyl more torque , more fuel , more 5spd manuals around , cheaper to fix engine (maybe) easier to work on the engine . more upgrades can be done to the engine , easy and cheapish to swap auto to manual.

maybe better handling (weight wise?)

dont bother with a early 530i m30 6cyl

Cool thanks mate. I'm not fussed about it being manual [nice thought, but, I can't have everything]

The V8 would be great, especially if, as you say, it's more economical.

Brent is bang on IMO

I'm quite inclined to beleive both of you, thanks guys. I'll keep hoping for the Hyundai to sell, then make a decision. But, the 530i is a very very attractive idea for me, being a V8 nut.

540 is prolly slightly better than 535 on gas as well

Would that be the gearing? Or the extra torque?

Would that be the gearing? Or the extra torque?

gearing and more modern design.The M 30 is OLD.The e34 was also relatively low geared to get the last bit of accelleration outa the old girl.My 535 is sits at about 2250 at 100 ks,whereas the 635 a mate had was about 1800 rpm

gearing and more modern design.The M 30 is OLD.The e34 was also relatively low geared to get the last bit of accelleration outa the old girl.My 535 is sits at about 2250 at 100 ks,whereas the 635 a mate had was about 1800 rpm

I see, that all makes sense. What kind of open road economy are you getting from the 535i?

I see, that all makes sense. What kind of open road economy are you getting from the 535i?

the best i have ever got was 27 mpg, 10.4 l 100 ks on the first weekend i ever owned it,auckland,hamilton,tauraunga wellington waimaramara wellington.just me in the car for the trip from ak to welly but two adults i child and lots of luggage 2 week holiday incl two bikes.Its the only aspect of the car i am disapointed with.I beleive the cars with o2 sensors/cats get better mileage.The nz ones didnt because we still had leaded gas then.I almost always get 550 600 ks for 62 liitres on my welly tauraunga trips,i dont thrash it but i dont get passed very often either.3rd gear is awesome for uphill passing manouvres ;)

That really isn't too bad for a decent size car! That's around the same as my boss' XR8, which is ugly and slow.

That really isn't too bad for a decent size car! That's around the same as my boss' XR8, which is ugly and slow.

when i got the car it was a central city dweller,the obc said 17 l 100 k

when i got the car it was a central city dweller,the obc said 17 l 100 k

Ouch! I don't think my e34's got near that much, mind you both were 525i's.

I think I would even go for another 525i at this rate.

Ouch! I don't think my e34's got near that much, mind you both were 525i's.

I think I would even go for another 525i at this rate.

that is central city AK style,,where at 5 oclock it can take 9 cycles to get through a set of traffic lights and you go down the end of the street to the motorway and find that it is barely moving

that is central city AK style,,where at 5 oclock it can take 9 cycles to get through a set of traffic lights and you go down the end of the street to the motorway and find that it is barely moving

That is quite reasonable then. I must be too used to the country and economy of all my bikes....

535i 5spd has plenty of pull .

came up the bombays a while back with a car transporter trailer with a e28 on it doing 14*km/h no sweat

my mates 525it m50 auto pulling with a rope a e34 520i m20 5spd up the bombays about 50-60km/h and it didn't like it one bit

In my experience the m50b25 never really liked hills....or pulling in auto form. I borrowed an e36 from my brother and put around 10 thousand km on it. Great car, just lacked in torque for those spirited moments.

I reguarly get 9.2l/100km on my daily 100km commute from paraparaumu/wellington/paraparaumu. This includes a bit of traffic. Have had it as low as 7.5l/100km on flat, traffic free motorway driving.

Treat it nicely, and the 540 is an economical car for a V8.

I agree, it seemed to be the case with my E36.

Imagine a M50B20...... :unsure:

A mate of mine had an e34 with the m50b20 in it. Was all shiney and black with options galore. A beatiful car and I would happily own it for daily driving, just no good passing people up hills or carrying 5 people to a party....quite a lack or torque.

I reguarly get 9.2l/100km on my daily 100km commute from paraparaumu/wellington/paraparaumu. This includes a bit of traffic. Have had it as low as 7.5l/100km on flat, traffic free motorway driving.

Treat it nicely, and the 540 is an economical car for a V8.

That is very impressive! I would assume for that kind of driving the 530i would be similar? That isn't too much more than the hyundai uses. If I travel to palmerston north I use around 8L/100km overall. That's flat 100km/h driving and 60kms of hills.