Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

XR6 Turbo Utes

The ZF 6 Speed auto would be the go not sure if you'll get one for that money though. The more gears the better with or without towing. Anyone is throwing their reliability out the door by just tuning something to huge RWKW without serious mods & towing that much will be hard on it without it. I think the HD pack for XR is 2300kg standard 1600 (going off ford.com.au)

My BA XR6 had 40km on it and it needed skimmed brakes very soon after purchase. Not an issue with the HSV stuff though, but then again, my rotors are the size of planets.

Dont buy anything thats lowered. They have a huuuuge wheelbase and will scrap on anything.

Also maybe look at the n/a six. They have good torque just off idle and maybe cheaper to fix/maintain.

As for the Holden, the IRS could prove a problem when towing any wieght, the one thing about leaves is that they are bloody strong and dont give wierd camber.

People need to remember they are a simple, honest workhorse and if you view them as such, things like the average fit of some of the parts is irrelevent.

Jeeze are the Falcon's still leaf sprung? Holdens are leaf or independant?

I had a trailer once that was leaf sprung.

Jeeze are the Falcon's still leaf sprung? Holdens are leaf or independant?

I had a trailer once that was leaf sprung.

Yup and imo a perfectly good system for a ute/anything thats needs to carry a decent payload.

Dont buy anything thats lowered. They have a huuuuge wheelbase and will scrap on anything.

Also maybe look at the n/a six. They have good torque just off idle and maybe cheaper to fix/maintain.

As for the Holden, the IRS could prove a problem when towing any wieght, the one thing about leaves is that they are bloody strong and dont give wierd camber.

People need to remember they are a simple, honest workhorse and if you view them as such, things like the average fit of some of the parts is irrelevent.

I agree with all points made here.

Although my '93 VR Holden ute is goin' through a transformation at the mo', i do and always will view it as a utalitarian(sp?) tool.

I don't know 'bout BA-BF utes but my neighbours AU2 XR6 ute has a plastic bed, no not a liner the actual bed of the deck is plastic. That would worry me abit, but i guess they have a decent load rating?

I don't know 'bout BA-BF utes but my neighbours AU2 XR6 ute has a plastic bed, no not a liner the actual bed of the deck is plastic. That would worry me abit, but i guess they have a decent load rating?

The plastic bed is tough as old boots, doesn't rust and wont dent. It's ribbed so can be annoying to clean out but didn't complain about a metre of builders mix ha. It's supported by a steel frame underneath so...