Sign in to follow this  
Simon 328M

328i vs M328i

Just wondering are are there ANY engine / computer / HP differences in the motorsport models or just cosmetic and handling?

Cheers

I'm also 99% sure your correct.

The only differences between a 328i and a motorsport 328i are the body kit, suspension, rims and maybe seats depending on the package your vehicle came with.

Within the motorsport body kits there are two version (I think) Luxury and Sport, Sport has the 'twisted' side skits and mesh in the front bumper and the luxury has the 'un-twisted' side skirts and slats in the front bumper.

^^^Not completely true on the bodykit point there. I believe most Motorsport kits fitted to non-M3's have slatted inserts in the front bumper rather than mesh, regardless of them having twisty sideskirts or not.

But yes, all differences are cosmetic except for a slightly lower suspension which would have a fairly negligible affect on handling and performance.

^^Yep, Both of my E36's have had the ''M'' options with twisted sideskirts and both have the slats

post-2185-1265815419.jpg

Edited by braeden.

cosmetic,although a three series expert will correct me i am sure

You are correct.

^^^Not completely true on the bodykit point there. I believe most Motorsport kits fitted to non-M3's have slatted inserts in the front bumper rather than mesh, regardless of them having twisty sideskirts or not.

But yes, all differences are cosmetic except for a slightly lower suspension which would have a fairly negligible affect on handling and performance.

Yes you are right about the non M3s having the mix, mine is also the mix I was more meaning that there were two styles of motorsport kit.

Much like the E30s I think. Can get a Motorsport model which has all the options but it is just as easy to build one from options and I think thats's where the mix models come about.

Out of interest does anybody know if you can option the black headliner?

Much like the E30s I think. Can get a Motorsport model which has all the options but it is just as easy to build one from options and I think thats's where the mix models come about.

Out of interest does anybody know if you can option the black headliner?

My SA Import has a Black Headliner. It also has the Mesh front air dam.

My SA Import has a Black Headliner. It also has the Mesh front air dam.

I have been told the black hood liner is how you can 100% define a genuine motorsport do all motorsports have them or no? Anyone removed the cat converters from their 328? noticeable improvement? how about computer chips are they worth looking into?

Heaps of noob questions for you lol

A black headliner is a sign of a genuine Motorsport E30, but not an E36.

Not really any such thing as a "genuine Motorsport E36"... this is because E36 motorsport options are pretty much all cosmetic so retro-fitting the bodykit and other options is fairly simple.

Exhaust mods can improve performance. Like all mods, a google search will help you determine average power gains. Also check out E36coupe.com, a good site for E36 owners.

There kinda is but it's not particulaly special like the E30 is.

The 3 main items are bodykit, interior (sports seats and black headliner) and suspension.

It's only the suspension thats adds anything to the way the car drives.

Mine for eg. is a SE but it has all the so called 'M Tech' options fitted from the factory.

other than LSD what driveline difference does the e30 M325i have? I'm pretty sure all the motorsport versions only add wheels, bodykit, steering wheel, seats, trim, suspension, hoodlining, and maybe badges be it E36 328 Msport, E39 Msport, or E30 M325i

All the E30s' were manual(?) and were sold as a seperate model.

The E36 could be auto or manual and were sold as SEs' or whatever??

I'm guessing somewhat.

Just wondering are are there ANY engine / computer / HP differences in the motorsport models or just cosmetic and handling?

Cheers

well i recently bought a 96328 s spec nz new only difference being its manual drove an M328 & couldnt feel any difference in handling or performance & was 2G$ dearer

All the E30s' were manual(?) and were sold as a seperate model.

The E36 could be auto or manual and were sold as SEs' or whatever??

I'm guessing somewhat.

mine is just badged 323i but the build sheet has:

337 M Sports Package

704 M Sports Suspension

710 M Leather Steering Wheel

does that indicate it's actually a factory Mspec?

or just a 323i with some motorsport options ticked?

I don't think there is a Motorsport version of the E36 like there was for the E30 (atleast not in NZ). Everything could be optioned from factory, so would be hard to distinguish between the two...

Msport has lower suspension and bigger sway bars.

Massive difference in cornering at reasonably high speeds. Car used to roll heaps going up the Kaimai's. Upgraded to Motorsport front and rear sway bars and nearly all the roll dialed out.

Other bits as everyone says, is cosmetic, but I'd buy the motorsport for the suspension difference alone. ;)

Mine has motorsport red and blue stiching on steering wheel, and black head liner .

was told that black headliner was the true factory motorsport optioned vehicle.

OK, let's clear this up:

You couldn't go into a BMW dealer when the E36 was new and ask for an M328i. There is no such thing. This is unlike the E30 M325i which was a specifically built car and part of the official BMW model lineup. You could however buy an E36 and tick as many M-Technic (or Motorsport) options that you wished.

The only performance based option on the list was the Sport Suspension (option 606) or the M-Technic Suspension (option 705).

You could, if you wished, specify both the suspension and M-Technic exterior styling together (option 704).

Option 775 is the black headliner option. You wanted it you got it, so it's not a sign of a "true Motorsport".

Then you can specify the interior options like option 457 - electrically adjustable contour seats. Options 708 and 709 were the M-Technic steering wheel varieties.

When it came to wheels you could tick a box and ask for the M-Parallels (option 780). Option 781 gave you the M Contours.

Basically BMW sold out on the E36 in terms of allowing M-Technic options on any car rather than just the E36 M3. This is why you see M-Technic kitted E36's still with cloth seats and a 2 litre lump under the bonnet.

To check your build sheet to see which options your car has lift up your rear seat squab and the build sheet is stapled to the underside. Compare it to the list of options in the PDF I've attached and find out what options the first owner of your car specified.

Sorted?

/rant :P

E36optioncodes.pdf

Edited by _Mark_

Mark you are correct on most of that.

The options list you have attached is not the 'Options List' that you use when ordering a vehicle. That is only a list to decode your list. It applies to ALL BMW models.

You could not specify M Parallels on an E36. They did not come in E36 offset.

So others, Don't read it and assume you could option anything on that list.

so what was the difference between sports suspension and mtech suspension?

Likely difference would be larger sway bars on one option. Standard E36's didn't come with a sway bar at all. Edited by Nick021

So how does the black headliner make the car handle compared to a grey one??

Wasnt implying that there was any performance advantage , just what i was told !!

personally i would not have bought my car without the sport package as i think they look 100 times better than non Mspec bmw's.