Sign in to follow this  
shaneg

A bit expensive for a 94 No?

540i

Just trying to see the price people would pay as i might look at buying it..

Hopefully the interior isnt blue though :)

He has 11 as the starting price and most of them are selling under 7 at the mo, although it has 98k on it.

Opinions???

Edited by shaneg

I've reopened this thread as Shane has PM'ed me and mentioned that he is keen to purchase this car and genuinely interested in opinions on the condition and price. Lets keep it on topic though and no seller bashing. :)

Edited by _Mark_

I'd say it's worth it if it's got genuine 98,000 and NZ New with some good service history.

Cool, he is gonna chuck some more pics up tonight or tomorrow which will be good.

Also wouldnt 100,000 be when a good service should be due?

And suspension and stuff like water pump be done around then? dont want to buy it only to have to spend a few thou more on it.

Also looking at this 540i

Although those rims will be up for sale pretty quickly...

Edited by shaneg

Guest Simon*

There would be a good case to check all perishable items and give the car a thorough going over. Regardless of mileage things simply wear out over time and this is a 15+ year old car.

You'd have to REALLY prefer the E34 to E39 (and who doesn't!! ;) ) to justify spending that kind of money on this car I believe.

Other than that, it looks great. It lives in a tent??? :D

This was up for sale a while ago. I wonder if it is the same seller as IIRC pic 4 wasn't there last time I saw the auction.

I could be highly wrong of course.

How do you know what the price is? It says it nowhere that I can read anyway. You can't call something expensive if you don't know what the price is?

Even if it were 15grand it's the money IMO. What other NZ New high optioned 540i is there around with 98,000km (assuming they are genuine) In it's day that thing would have been just awesome, it's probably still full of awesome.

Edited by Clinton

It starts at 11,000 and it has a reserve price.. just trying to gauge what price you guys would pay for it.

Max id pay would be 12k, might pop over to chch and have a nosey.

Just hopefully it doesn't have the blue interior.... cant live with the blue.

Oh yeah Carjam check out ok,

10 New Zealand owners on the records:

D************ (current owner)

Owned since: 2008, August 18th (for more than 1 year); Location: CHCH; Prior odometer: 94,823km on 2008, May 9th

Archibald Barr Motor Company Limited

Owned since: 2008, July 22nd (for more than 3 weeks); Location: Waltham, Christchurch 8011; Postal address: PO Box 22061, High Street, Christchurch 8142; Status: Complete; This is a company; Prior odometer: 94,823km on 2008, May 9th

Paul Kelly Motor Company Limited

Owned since: 2008, July 18th (for more than 4 days); Location: Christchurch; Postal address: PO Box 721, Christchurch, Christchurch 8140; Status: Complete; This is a company; Prior odometer: 94,823km on 2008, May 9th

J******** T**********

Owned since: 2002, December 4th (for more than 5 years); Location: Christchurch; Prior odometer: 67,651km on 2002, October 1st

Euromarque Holdings Ltd

Owned since: 2002, December 4th (for one day); Location: Christchurch; Postal address: PO Box 2202, Christchurch 8140; Status: Complete; This is a company; Prior odometer: 67,651km on 2002, October 1st

P****** T*********

Owned since: 2002, October 10th (for more than 1 month); Location: Christchurch; Prior odometer: 67,651km on 2002, October 1st

Euromarque Holdings Ltd

Owned since: 2001, October 8th (for more than 1 year); Location: Christchurch; Postal address: PO Box 2202, Christchurch 8140; Status: Complete; This is a company; Prior odometer: 66,926km on 2001, September 27th

CS**********

Owned since: 2001, February 8th (for more than 8 months); Location: Christchurch; Prior odometer: 56,597km on 2000, October 24th

Christchurch Motor Group Limited trading as Christchurch Bmw And Mini

Owned since: 2000, January 28th (for more than 1 year); Location: Christchurch; Postal address: PO Box 22007, High Street, Christchurch 8142; Status: Complete; This is a company; Prior odometer: 51,743km on 1999, October 5th

MR & JR

Owned since: 1996, January 4th (for more than 4 years); Location: Christchurch

E: Edited private owners' details in the interests of privacy. Also irrelevant to discussion. A simple number of owners and average tenure may have sufficed.

Edited by Simon*

Just to weigh in here on this debate.

A spectacular 540i/6 sold for around 16k here in Christchurch not so long ago. You'd have to question if the auto version is worth similar coin.

It is a lot of money for an auto 540... but then again if it has been fastidiously maintained and needs no work then it could be a good buy. I'm sure other 540 owners couldn't say that they had spent the purchase price and nothing more on theirs since they've owned it. :D

Remember its still a 16 y/o car. Low k's often doesn't reflect good condition,Just it terms of things wearing out with age not k's.

I would personally buy a higher k's one for alot less and have $$ up my sleeve for anything that may/maynot crop up with it.

I like it it's Kiwi and most of the dealers you have mentioned as owners are european car dealers.

$11k or there abouts for a 100k example where most other of that vintage have done twice that many k's for say around $6k.

It would depend on how long you will keep to me- as mentioned may be a $6k version with twice the k's will be the go, I bet there is hardly any difference between drivers feel for 100k and 250k in a well built car like the E34.

Do as you say take a look and go by your gut feeling.

$11k You are getting into E39 territory as well, may be not V8 - it's a hard one.

The car does show 10 changes of ownership, but 5 of those are dealers and are not counted as owners.

When you state the number of owners a car has had, you only count the retail owners.

Therefore this is a 5 owner vehicle.

Edited by C0SM0S

The car does show 10 changes of ownership, but 5 of those are dealers and are not counted as owners.

When you state the number of owners a car has had, you only count the retail owners.

Therefore this is a 5 owner vehicle.

Yeah, i know... i just copy and pasted that info from carjam

Some lady had a very nice brand new car... what were they brand new? 160-170k??

Guest Ari Gold

I would be kinda pissed my info was posted up like that, may pay to edit your post?

Jeeze.. Few STEALERS I mean DEALERS have had their hands on it. It really doesn't count towards the worth of this thing in my opinion, IF it's a genuine clean low milage NZ New. It should be a 12-15k car to the right person.

Edited by Clinton

I would be kinda pissed my info was posted up like that, may pay to edit your post?

This info is available to anyone... not really a problem.

Jeeze.. Few STEALERS I mean DEALERS have had their hands on it. It really doesn't count towards the worth of this thing in my opinion, IF it's a genuine clean low milage NZ New. It should be a 12-15k car to the right person.

Exactly the info i was after.. cheers.

Im not worried about the owners, just posted that to show that the KM's are genuine.

Didnt want to cough up 12k only for someone to say it should've been worth 9k. Thats all.

Cheers everyone.

Yeah, I'd say its worth 12-11k, Provided (as simon mentioned) that perishable items such as bushes, Intake manifold seals etc, etc are ok. Because if they're not, then its going to be an expensive car.

Mine for example i paid slightly less than $4k for it, but have spent $3k on it since, and to be completely happy with it I still need to spend another $4k or so. And it still has 130,000 more Km's on the clock than this example.

Guest Ari Gold

This info is available to anyone... not really a problem.

For a price, and I doubt its intended use is dissemination on a public internet forum <_<

Guest Simon*

For a price, and I doubt its intended use is dissemination on a public internet forum <_<

I have to agree. This information is paid for, but I bet there is a disclaimer on its use regardless

My edit above is to save arguments

Hey yo, thats a clean looking example. I would agree with posters that low km's doesn't mean it won't need any work. These cars are built to be driven. The E34 that sold in CHCH for $16k was a manual motorsport version (540se or is). I would imagine they're WAAYYYY cooler than my 540i auto. The auto is a bit of a slush box.

To give you comparison I paid $8k for a 145kms 1994 NZ New 540i. I think that was a rich price, and true value would be somewhere closer to $7k, but to me it was in really good condition and had same owner since 15kms so full service history.

BUT!

Since then have had to replace radiator and belt pulleys. Plus a service and I've spent about $1800 in 6 months. Yay!

But f**k its an awesome car, I love rolling to work in it.

SO Yes I think 15k too expensive. $10k cash maybe, but really a bit closer to $9k. Incredible value destruction in these cars, when a good example drives pretty mint.