Sign in to follow this  
tire

m10 e30 cooling

1986 e30 318i (m10 engine). Manual.

I'm helping my cousin out with his e30. It gets over halfway on the temp gauge, about up the next notch, when driving around town. The garage said it was a false reading but I don't think so as the gauge behaves in a uniform way. It gets cooler on the open road but still a smidge over half. You can get it to run on halfway with the heater, but its not ideal for obvious reasons.

The radiator was reconditioned ~5000ks ago, new rad cap and genuine thermostat at the same time.

My first thought was fan clutch so I replaced it with a good 2nd hand one, which made no difference. So I bought a brand new one and installed that this morning and took it for a good drive - still no difference.

So now im at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One little thought - the coolant is that toyota long life stuff - would that have any negative effect?

Thanks!

Max

Water pump?

System bled properly... no air locks?

Auxillary fan doing its thing?

Edited by _Mark_

Water pump?

I was under the impression that when waterpumps fail they stop working all together?

And if thee was an air lock the heater wouldn't work? (It works a treat).

Might add its done 215000 ks

Edited by tastic

I agree with waterpump. Blades have probably rusted and corroded to nothing/ broken off.

The waterpump looks pretty easy to remove thanks to the lack of a cambelt. I'll have a look.