Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

e30 steering linkage

I can't find any info on this, But is it OK to remove the big circle heat shield off of the steering linkage ?

Removing it would clear about 3-4mm between the steering linkage and exhaust manifolds and I need as much room as I can get as I haven't spaced up the engine mounts or anything. As of now the manifold has been modified enough to clear it barely 1mm but I think it would be easier to pull that heatshield off to clear more room because no doubt the motor will twist and make contact with the steering under when its under load.

Edited by e30ftw

I had this problem. Whenever I was giving my car beans around a left hand corner it would rub quite a bit. Really annoying.

Mine's gone now and I have no problems. I know others who have taken it off as well with no problems whatsoever.

Might need to make a custom alloy bush for steering or use a higher temp rated rubber. ild say it will cook the standard one, but i dont think the shield will make much difference as it is as its so close anyway.

I did it. But it's real dodgy having the rubber bush hold them together. So i chopped it just to use the metal sleeves as and hold the 2 parts directly together.

Looks dodgy as. Might take the linkage bit in to the certifier and see if he would think thats fine lol.

Posted Image

i got my drive shaft ballancer to swap the universals over from top to bottom so now its upside down worked perfect

my stainless headers have about 3mm clearence after i spaced the engine mounts up without the heat shield,and they get bloody hot, but had no problems with it after 5 or 6000 km.

i got my drive shaft ballancer to swap the universals over from top to bottom so now its upside down worked perfect

Yeah I tried flipping it over too but didn't realise the splines were different so I was trying to smash it on then finally clicked why it wouldnt lol.

Fits perfectly mint how it is now. Just don't know how it would go down for the WOF and cert guys heh. Maybe if I got cleaner looking spacers instead of the ripped up rubber ones. Then I wouldn't have anything to melt / burn from the exhaust..

I had the same problem, ended up spacing the motor up with the AKG bushes, and ground around the lip of that metal

Wrapped mine in heat wrap after headers installed-ok so far.