Sign in to follow this  
SIR E30

Broken E30 320i

Dear Bimmersport,

Car: 1991 E30 320i (motronic)

Problem: Has been running fine the last few days since I picked it up. Had a known starting issue before I got it. Every now and again the car wouldnt start.. So here I am picking up the pieces, rescuing a poor wee E30.

When I picked it up I had some friends help, we got it running and drove it home and its been fine. BUT! Tonight it has decided to not start again.

Symptoms: No spark, no fuel but fuel pump will go if given a direct 12V or if wired directly across the relay. When the key is turned on the Idle control valve doesnt hum like normal. I can hear a tick in the dashboard somewhere but no hum. It cranks over really strongly and it has compression. I have tried a different ECU but that was no help either.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated because I'm stranded at my olds place tonight, and will be using the toyota corolla to get to work tomorrow!

Jason

Edited by SIR E30

so its not even doing it intermitantly any more?.pull the ignition out and check the switch wireing?

Na not intermittently now, its just fully not starting! My thoughts on the ignition go like this: if the key turns on, and it cranks there cant be anything wrong. Yes I have to wiggle the key sometimes but surely that wouldn't make the fuel etc not work.

Is there something seperate in the ignition which turns the ECU on at the same time as it turns the starter motor? or is it all in one?

Dear Bimmersport,

Car: 1991 E30 320i (motronic)

Problem: Has been running fine the last few days since I picked it up. Had a known starting issue before I got it. Every now and again the car wouldnt start.. So here I am picking up the pieces, rescuing a poor wee E30.

When I picked it up I had some friends help, we got it running and drove it home and its been fine. BUT! Tonight it has decided to not start again.

Symptoms: No spark, no fuel but fuel pump will go if given a direct 12V or if wired directly across the relay. When the key is turned on the Idle control valve doesnt hum like normal. I can hear a tick in the dashboard somewhere but no hum. It cranks over really strongly and it has compression. I have tried a different ECU but that was no help either.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated because I'm stranded at my olds place tonight, and will be using the toyota corolla to get to work tomorrow!

Jason

Hi Jason,

There is a black cover on the left hand side in the engine bay, just in front of the strut tower.under this is a couple of relays, with the engine running lift them up and wiggle them around one at a time and you will find a faulty Dme relay.

Cheers

BMH

Na not intermittently now, its just fully not starting! My thoughts on the ignition go like this: if the key turns on, and it cranks there cant be anything wrong. Yes I have to wiggle the key sometimes but surely that wouldn't make the fuel etc not work.

Is there something seperate in the ignition which turns the ECU on at the same time as it turns the starter motor? or is it all in one?

Do ign lights come on with key & stay on while cranking? If so - won't be ign switch

Yea the lights come on, and stay on. The oil pressure light turns off while cranking. Not that its any help haha

Tried replacing dme relay?

One closest to the front the of the car, 5 pin.

Seems to be running again.. replaced DME relay and its started a few times since then. We'll see how that goes!

Thanks for the help everyone!