Sign in to follow this  
l0w320

taking out rear spring pads?

is taking out the rear spring pads bad for your car? n what does taking them out do??

^ Well it should make the rear of your car sit lower.

Other than that you may get a little more noise from the rear end over bumps etc but that is it. My car doesn't have any and I don't notice the difference.

and probably run into the problem of the spring unsitting itself and flying off hhahaha

^ Well it should make the rear of your car sit lower.

Other than that you may get a little more noise from the rear end over bumps etc but that is it. My car doesn't have any and I don't notice the difference.

does it make it sit lower :D

gangster haha might be something to do tomorow when im bored

and probably run into the problem of the spring unsitting itself and flying off hhahaha

do you reckon that would acually happen lol because that wouldnt be good lol

Well my shocks have really short rebound so the springs are ultra tensioned all the time, so no worries about the spring coming out, need to jack the trailing arm up to get the spring compressed enough to bolt the shock in, if you have cut springs like so many morons around here, well that is another story.

Edited by Forrest

well stop and think for a bit. why do you thing there is a spring pad for? its not like the engineers put them in just coz they felt like it. its to stop the spring from scraping with the metal and making a sh*t loads of noise and from stopping it from shifting around. and all that extra movement without the snug fit of the pad may cause wear and tear on the spring base and spring itself.

just buy a proper lowering kit

Edited by Docile

As I said it's horses for courses, depending on how your car is set up etc will affect how dangerous it is to remove them. I only removed them because several E30 racers said that they don't run them and I am pretty sure they would drive their cars harder than I would, with the same suspension set up as me etc.

I think the OP got his answer before this turns into a sh*t fest anyway.

/End thread.

Well my shocks have really short rebound so the springs are ultra tensioned all the time, so no worries about the spring coming out, need to jack the trailing arm up to get the spring compressed enough to bolt the shock in, if you have cut springs like so many morons around here, well that is another story.

hmm cut springs...erm no i mean i like low cars but cut springs is stupid...

well stop and think for a bit. why do you thing there is a spring pad for? its not like the engineers put them in just coz they felt like it. its to stop the spring from scraping with the metal and making a sh*t loads of noise and from stopping it from shifting around. drive it hard enough and have the rear arm go low enough and you might have your self a flying spring.

true

Lets get off the topic of removing them completely and focus on getting different ones.

Just checked in the parts catalogue and for E36 theres 3 or 4 different thickness's for the rear. 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm and 21.5mm. Assume theres also choice for E30.

There doesn't seem to be any alternatives for the front, however they already are only 3mm thick apparently.

Yes you can take them out.

No it's not bad.

No you won't notice a difference in anything other than a slight 5-10mm drop.

Springs will not move around with the weight of the car compressed on them.

Lets get off the topic of removing them completely and focus on getting different ones.

Just checked in the parts catalogue and for E36 theres 3 or 4 different thickness's for the rear. 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm and 21.5mm. Assume theres also choice for E30.

There doesn't seem to be any alternatives for the front, however they already are only 3mm thick apparently.

i would assume also there would be different thicknesses for e30 as well

i also read on r3vlimited.com in the forums something about 15mm top hats for the front which drops the front quiet a fair bit looks good tho

Yes you can take them out.

No it's not bad.

No you won't notice a difference in anything other than a slight 5-10mm drop.

Springs will not move around with the weight of the car compressed on them.

there all i wanted to know

thanks john :) oh btw that driveshaft did come in handy ended up swapping it for a m10 driveshaft then getting it proffesionally shortened so just want to say thanks again

It will remove any paint/underseal ect where the spring rubs on the body when it twists.

It will remove any paint/underseal ect where the spring rubs on the body when it twists.

lol alright ive come to conclusion to not remove them ahaha