Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

E53 Navigation

This is probably a Jochen question :)

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to put an upgraded BMW Navi disk into my NZ New 2005 3.0d We were out last week and looking in some new sub-divisions and alot of the street's weren't there. Would an upgrade disk also improve graphics?

The current disk I have is part number: N8881400670 Version 2005-1 BMW NAVIGATION SYSTEM

Cheers :)

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to put an upgraded BMW Navi disk into my NZ New 2005 3.0d We were out last week and looking in some new sub-divisions and alot of the street's weren't there. Would an upgrade disk also improve graphics?

The current disk I have is part number: N8881400670 Version 2005-1 BMW NAVIGATION SYSTEM

There is a later disc - PM me to clarify

Done :)

I have called the dealer, there is an updated disk but he said I wouldn't want to know the price, so I left it at that for now.

MAPS

CD (or DVD) maps are the same as paper maps: once they are made, they cannot be updated

So just as with a paper map, you bought a new one every now and then, you have to do the same and buy a new map.

And the map is only as accurate as the mapping data used to create it.

Check your local book store for the paper map, and see if the paper map was produced with map data from GeoSmart.

GeoSmart are the map data suppliers for the BMW map discs, and I think they supply some paper map makers as well.

BMW released a 2008 map disc for NZ, which contains 3 years of road changes. SO you really want to get the 2008 disc

OPERATING SYSTEM

Press MENU, then select Settings, and see what is displayed in the top right corner.

This is the OS version.

The current OS is 4-1/00 (which means 4-1/100)

If you have anything less, like 4-1/80, 4-1/72 etc, then tell us and we can help you upgrade the OS software free of charge, without visiting the dealer.

It'd cost around the $500 mark ...

And a bit <_<

O/S is SW 4-1/50

Hope this helps?

You have a very old OS that has likely never been updated since the car was built.

4-1/50 was released in March 2005

4-1/100 was released in March 2008

By upgrading to 4-1/(1)00 you will get

1. Tons of bug fixes

2. Ability to read dual layer DVD maps (but that doesn't offer much use in NZ as NZ is so small it fits on a CD)

3. Improved graphics

and

4. 3D map view !!!

The 3D map view alone is really worth while.

To load the new OS

1. Get the V32 OS image file from here: Website with V32 OS

2. Make a new OS CD from the image file using ImgBurn www.imgburn.com

3. Turn ign to Pos 0 and eject map CD

4. Insert OS CD, wait and then follow instructions on screen

5. DO NOT TURN OFF IGN OR LET BATTERY GO FLAT DURING REFLASH (OS LOAD)

6. At end of OS load, CD will be ejected, and you will be asked to click OK to reboot

7. Reboot and enjoy!

Edited by jochen

Thanks mate, I'm going to get onto this this morning. Uncles M5 had awesome maps and graphics compared to mine, mines terrible in comparison!

All done, fark, what a difference! Maps are much more modern, cleaner! Thanks again Jochen!

I think it's even made the menu's and stuff easier to use? Pitty it couldn't install the TV Function to it haha! What would I need to do to get TV working on it? Cheers..

EDIT:

What's the other files there for? Anything I'd need or be interested in?

Edited by Clinton

All done, fark, what a difference! Maps are much more modern, cleaner! Thanks again Jochen!

I think it's even made the menu's and stuff easier to use? Pitty it couldn't install the TV Function to it haha! What would I need to do to get TV working on it? Cheers..

EDIT:

What's the other files there for? Anything I'd need or be interested in?

The OS disc contains OS versions for around 7 different nav systems and lots of sub variants

But the OS disc cannot update the TV software, that must be loaded with factory tools.

To get TV working, plug in the TV tuner and the 2 x antennas.

The OS disc contains OS versions for around 7 different nav systems and lots of sub variants

But the OS disc cannot update the TV software, that must be loaded with factory tools.

To get TV working, plug in the TV tuner and the 2 x antennas.

Would I get the tuner and antennas from a wrecker?

Can do, but make sure you get a 16:9 version TV module - can be from E38/39/46 etc cars as well as X5 obviously

check the TV tuner manfacturer date: anything 2004 onwards would be fine for your car.

It's written on the label on the tuner eg KW01/04 = caldenar week 01, 2004

You also need the wiring loom, antenna cables, antenna amps, and the misc brackets for the tuner

Thanks mate, are there any wreckers on here that could have the parts required? Is it a mongrel of a job to fit or a piece of piss?

Thanks mate, are there any wreckers on here that could have the parts required? Is it a mongrel of a job to fit or a piece of piss?

TV tuner fits on a bracket under the cover in the spare wheel well. Remove boot floor liner, and plastic trim to view. The radio tuner is there too. (PS: never back the car into the sean when launching a boat, the spare wheel well is the first thing to get wet, and the TV tuner and radio tuner the first electronics to die as a result)

The TV tuner cable runs to the nav system and connects to the nav and existing loom at the nav computer. Also in the boot.

The TV antennas are on the left and right rear windows, so the antenna coax cabling is easy to run.

I have the full BMW retrofit instructions which include the TV tuner and show every thing required, with pictures.

I'll email them to you if you PM me your email address

Thanks mate, are there any wreckers on here that could have the parts required?

Be wary of them - they'll charge 50% of new price for the TV tuner

New = $1290 USD which means NZ retail around $2,500 by the time BMW NZ adds their margin

So a wrecker will likely charge $1,200 NZD

2nd hand on eBay they are much much cheaper (a couple of hundred USD)

Especially as many countries can no longer use analogue TV, so people no longer want them...

UPDATE

There is a jolly good chance that the wiring loom is already fitted to the car. Open up the panels covering the TV tuner and have a look.

Refer to the retrofit instructions and look for connectors A16, A17 and A18

Hi Jochen, I hope this is what your after, there is a spare plug there?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nope. that is all power and power distribution (red wires) and ground connections (brown wires)

The TV tuner is mounted right next to the radio module, which is at the rear of the spare tyre well under a plastic covering

Keep removing plastic covers until you find the radio module - easily identified by the connectors and cables

Ahhh bollocks!

Will give it another go tonight. I thought it was something to do with power, some fairly decent sized cables going on there.

Mein Deutsch ist sehr Sheisse but I found this on Ebay this morning. Would this do the job? Will get pics at some stage today....

http://cgi.ebay.de/TV-Free-Freischaltung-B...=item3cb2b3fffb

Also, I'm wanting to perhaps change the M logo off the screen on startup, can you put your own JPG file or atleast have it back to the BMW logo?

Would this amplifier give me DSP controls (obviously bar the 2x subwoofers) but give me better sound Jochen?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Artikelbild-BMW-E38-39-...=item3362bd0955

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Hi Jochen, I hope this is what your after, there is a spare plug there?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

jeepers forget the tv and clean your car! ;)