Sign in to follow this  
bellicose

Touristy stuff in S.I?

My partner and i are doin' a driving holiday round the south island for 2 weeks starting mid April.

I've never been to the south island so was wondering if people could make some suggestions on the 'must do/must go' stuff down there.

We are getting off the ferry and staying one night in Picton then............................?

Those are the only things we've booked as we are just goin' to get in the car and drive.

We're not bothering to book the ferry back as we don't want to HAVE to be at some place at a certain time.

Freestyle holiday here we come :)

Its a great trip mate. Did the same kinda trip a couple years back.

Queenstown was by far my favourite. Just the atmosphere really. Go up the gondola, do the luge (didn't get to when I was there cause of the weather), bungy and ofcourse the Shotover jet. If you're into quad biking theres a great place up in Nelson (or around Nelson) which does tour kind of things, even has a track which you can trash the bikes on after. Was the best tour I have done on quad bikes bar maybe the Ahipara one.

Theres another one I think, I can't remember where it was for the life of me but on the tour they go past the most amazing bungy between 2 rock faces. You go out to the middle of the canyon in a box on wires Didn't have the balls to do it before! But would be soo keen to do it if I ever go down there again.

Gold mining, can't remember the town either. You'll find it easy enough. Nice little train ride and you get to pan for gold. Not nearly the real thing though, they rig it so all the little kids don't get sad if they don't find any.

The glaciers! Definitely something else to see.

Have a great time! Unplanned road trips are the best.

Dunedin.

Nah, Just kidding.

Central Otago is a pretty nice place to be, especially in the summer... Definately Queenstown is a must... Cromwell isn't too bad either <.< I haven't really done much touristy stuff in years...

I did a week long road trip in my BA, great roads and scenery. I went to Blenheim overnighted as boat arrived 5pm then off to ChCh via Kaikoura(SP) that was a great drive then I went back up to Nelson via lewis pass I think it was (springs Junction) that was a wicked drive loved that, then back to blenheim, I spent two days in ChCh though.

I would do it this way.

Picton - Blenheim - Nelson - Greymouth - Queenstown - Wanaka - Invercargil- Dunedin - Christchurch - Kaikoura - Blenheim - Picton.

Must go to Milford Sound & Te Anau then the popular Queenstown, Wanaka. Also Fox Glazier, Catlins falls, then there is Kaikoura (Top ten international must go list) and stop by the Moeraki Boulders outside of Dunedin.

In Dunedin there's Larnach's Castle, the must see Albatross also up close watching penguin in their natural enviroment if interested, and Otago harbour cruise to see the wild life. Some beautiful architecture like Otago Uni, Railway station, drive to the top of Signal Hill for a great view of the city & harbour.

Then there is the Garden City, Christchurch with the lovely Avon river, Botanic garden, great Air Force museum and catch the tram while you're there.

Haven't been to anywhere above Christchurch except for Kaikoura, don't think there's anything interesting up there anyway :)

pancake rocks,crown range,wanaka,haast pass otira viaduct,tekapo,,mate the whole island is a tourist and drivers heaven

I did a rectangle b4 new years, covered most of south island. Queenstown is a must, and so's the Milford Sound boat cruise. Arthurs pass is prob the best bit by far

Drink good bastards beer on the west coast

Do Some sort of Jet boating, Queenstown or in Christchurch

Check out Mt Cook on the way to Queens Town

Must check out the Abel Tasman National Part- such a beautiful place(go tramping or something through there)

Take the back road from Wanaka to Queenstown. Great views and awesome hairpins :)

Haast pass is also a great drive. Most of the roads in south island are pretty straight with bugger all traffic.

Have fun.

If it were me:

SOUTH ISLAND TRIP

I think the TeAnau one should be an option as it is kinda out of the loop, but it's a nice place all the same, through there you have Milford Sound too, which is pretty awesome.

Edited by Clinton

I can't believe no one has mentioned Hanmer yet.

Heaps of walking/Mountain biking tracks around and can't forget the hotpools afterwards. Good place to stop off for a day and relax.

I was going to but it's quite a bit off the beaten track. The only REAL thing going for it is the hotpools? Oh and that 4WD amphibious ride.

My suggestion would be:

Picton to Blenhiem then through to Nelson, up to Golden Bay,

Then in order:

Murchison

Springs Junction

Westport

Greymouth

The Glaciers

Haast

Wanaka

Queenstown

Tour to Milford (by bus, includes boat) great road, but lots of tourists driving on the wrong side of the road!

Queenstown

Cromwell

Omarama

Mt Cook

Tekapo

Christchurch

Kaikoura

Picton.

You do miss out on the Lewis and Arthurs passes - great roads great scenery, but can be done from Christchurch, say up to the Lewis down to Greymouth and then back via Arthurs

Edited by OP6

Really depends on what your into, then we can make suggestions.

I'm a tour guide at On Yer Bike, click here.

If your into 4WDing, come see me :D.

But I get to hear all the stories of all the people I take on tours.

Must do's...

Sea kayaking in Abel Tasman

Heli Hike on a Glacier (far better value for money to a guided walk from car park.)

Drive to Queenstown. Via the Crown Range.

Bungy Jumping, Skydiving, and White Water rafting.

Cruise at Milford Sound.

Other do's

There's a walk in the Marlborough Sounds that goes to the only pub in New Zealand only accessible by walking or boat.

Okarito, near Franz Joeseph, if the White Heron's are nesting.

Plan do spend a day going from destination to destination (even if it is only 2-3hours), people drive past so much, especially going over the Haast Pass.

Arthur's pass.

Rail Trail in from Clyde to Ranfurly, maybe.

Relaxing...

Kaikora

Hamner Springs

Wanaka

Akaroa

Greymouth area...

Punakaiki, and the pancake rocks, and the truman track, plus the drive there.

12mile beach (little secret gem, must go to at low tide, contact me for directions)

The tip heads

Lake Brunner if I have a day off, boat + fishing :)

Black Water rafting, rafting on tubes through caves.

Have take-aways on the beach at sunset.

Hope you have good weather, has been a late summer, so hopefully it stays here for a bit. Really depends what your into, take your time, don't try do everything.

wotif.co.nz is good for booking Hotels.

Thanks

Antony.

Edited by antony