Sign in to follow this  
APT

Tie rod Nut

Hey guys I have removed and re installed front struts before but for some reason this time when installing the nut that attaches the tie rod it does not want to freely spin the whole way down it gets a couple of rotations then just tightens and spins the whole tie rod bolt around, and just gets stuck and spins the whole tie rod bolt. :wacko:

I am using the exact same nut i took off im using a 17mm socket and i used a tie rod end tool to break the tie rod bolt from the strut.

Do i have to replace the tie rod end ?

Sorry its abit hard to explain

THANKS !!

Does the bolt on the tie rod end that is spinning have a allen key fitting in the top of it? I use a ratchet spanner (or a ring spanner is fine) have it sitting on the nut, and while I am doing it up I have a allen key in the top bolt to stop the bolt spinning and just the nut turns. If that fails, vice grips are your friend ;) will just mean you will need new tie rods next time probably :)

usually on the top of the bolt there is a hex or allen key hole. holds the bolt while you spin the nut.

Put a jack under the tie rod and then do it up.

+1, just load up the ball joint from underneath with a jack and it'll do up straight away.

Does the bolt on the tie rod end that is spinning have a allen key fitting in the top of it? I use a ratchet spanner (or a ring spanner is fine) have it sitting on the nut, and while I am doing it up I have a allen key in the top bolt to stop the bolt spinning and just the nut turns. If that fails, vice grips are your friend ;) will just mean you will need new tie rods next time probably :)

There is no allen key on top of the bolt, but i will try the jack technique hopefully this can fix it. Thanks guys

The bolt is tapered - hence why the jack trick works, and why they are such a bitch to get off.

Havent given it a go yet but the jack trick seems like it will work, thank god Bimmersport is back online